The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Potential OTTB Retraining project? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/potential-ottb-retraining-project-271410/)

laurenlewis24 09-05-2013 07:50 PM

Potential OTTB Retraining project?

9 Attachment(s)
What do you think about this boy? I just went out to see him a few days ago. Sorry for the awful pictures! My friend is not too good at using my DSLR camera and we didn't have a ton of time to stand there and get him completly square.

I would like to use him as a dressage and hunter jumper show horse.

His up to date info is here: Horse Racing | Horse Racing Entries | Horse Racing Results | Past Performances | Mobile | Statistics

His pedigree is here: Saintly Dart Horse Pedigree

Attachment 274746

Attachment 274754

Attachment 274770

Attachment 274778

Attachment 274794

Attachment 274802

Attachment 274810

Attachment 274818

Attachment 274826

He is being sold at an asking price of $1500. Should I offer lower?

Oliveren15 09-05-2013 10:16 PM

First off, he's gorgeous! He's a tad downhill, but nothing that will hinder his ability. I 'd go for it!

paintthesky 09-05-2013 11:17 PM

Mighty fine looking horse :) It looks like he's got a lot of potential. Good luck :)

Elana 09-09-2013 08:49 AM

His shoulder is steep, his neck is set a bit low and he is a bit pigeon breasted. He is very down hill in build. He has adequate bone and he is a bit straight through the hocks.

What is really concerning is the obvious rotations and offsets in the front legs, most notably the left front. That leg has the forearm looking straight, the knee and cannon rotated to the outside and the fetlock joint and pastern rotated inward. There is an agle inward at the knee making this horse a bit knock knee'd. There may be an injury to that knee as well.

Go and look but be sure to get a full PPE and be sure to look very very hard at that left front leg.

Elana 09-09-2013 08:51 AM

Looked at his pedigree. He won $190k and is a gelding. Likely he is for sale because of an injury that ended his racing career and probably has made him unsound for most riding disciplines.

rhosroyalvelvet 09-09-2013 02:35 PM

You would really need to look pics/videos of him moving to decide especially for showing and dressage both of these need a big moving pony/horse and from my experience ponies with a shoulder as straight as his do not make the cut in their movement.

Teekin 09-09-2013 04:35 PM

His sire is ver very well bred. The St. Balldo's make great sport horses but his dam's side is not so great. I think his petigree shows better than this guy turned out, too bad because he looks sweet but unhappy. This horse is just does not have the conformation to stay sound for anything other than walking down the road. If you have the time and money to bring him back as a pleasure mount good on you but he is NOT a performance horse for the reasons that Elana pointed out. I will add that his loin connection is too weak to make up for the fact that he carries too much weight on a compramised set of forlimbs. His front pasterns are also too straight and when they are added to that straight shoulder the front ankles are likely going to already have arthritic changes. Sorry, he looks like a sweetheart.

xlionesss 09-09-2013 04:57 PM

Not impressed at all. I'd definitely pass.

BarrelRacer724 09-09-2013 06:04 PM

I completely agree with Elana on checking the legs - there is noticeably something wrong in the front legs. He is a good looking guy otherwise, but I don't think dressage would be a good match for him and without a clean PPE I would not jump him.