The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What would you consider as your favorite breed and discipline? Why? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-would-you-consider-your-favorite-271649/)

Rio2013 09-06-2013 07:11 AM

What would you consider as your favorite breed and discipline? Why?

Just for the sake of fun!
I have a preference for Tennessee walkers because they can both be quite flashy in the show arena and have fun on trails. All the ones I've encountered have had a very sweet temperament

Iseul 09-06-2013 08:02 AM

I'm stuck between stock horses (QH and Paint) and Thoroughbreds.
I love horses that have some "get up and go" when I have a job to do, but I love my relaxing trail rides as well.
Any well trained horse is my preference though, I just like the look of stock horses and TBs.

My discipline of choice would be team penning or roping, but I love my game events as well. I LOVE speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cynical25 09-06-2013 09:31 AM

I'm a Paint and Quarter Horse gal. Western Pleasure & Reining are my favorite events, but I also enjoy HUS, trail, and pattern classes. I like the overall look, movement, mindset & trainability of stock horse breeds.

SlideStop 09-06-2013 10:15 AM

I'm a stock horse girl too. Paints and Quarter horse... Sometimes appys. I enjoy reining and western events (pleasure, trail, horsemanship, command, etc). I'm not a huge fan of speed events, but I've done them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Doodlesweaver 09-06-2013 10:23 AM

Cleveland Bay, Thoroughbred, Irish sport horse, Dutch Warmblood, now Polish Arabians. I've been very impressed with the Polish Arabians.

Hannahhh 09-06-2013 10:27 AM

Quarter horses all the way.... so versatile! As for discipline I'm an adrenaline junkie so barrel racing hands down, although I haad a great time when I sorted cows..

tempest 09-06-2013 10:43 AM

I'm torn between Morgans and Saddlebreds, but I'm also partial to the colors and patterns on Paints. If I had to choose though, I'd say Saddlebreds. They're such a joy to ride and work with. The ones I've met have had great temperaments and they are very friendly. And the rack is an amazing gait.

I also love Saddle seat the most, with western being in second. I also like to barrel race, but I've only done it at local 4H shows.

smrobs 09-06-2013 11:44 AM

I'm also a stock horse girl, though not necessarily the traditional QH/Paint/Appy. My current using horses are a Mustang and a draft cross LOL.

As for favorite discipline, I'd have to say ranch work. It's kind of like extreme trail riding with cows where you have to have complete control over your horse even at high speeds and have the ability to rope and drag stuff too.

kayleeloveslaneandlana 09-06-2013 06:24 PM

I'm a Spanish horse type of girl. But, I have come to love Holstiners, Oldenburgs, and Dutch Warmbloods.

As for my favorite discipline, Dressage hands down. I love the elegance, the feel, the look, just everything! I love training the horses that have some pep in their step, much easier for me to train a horse that wants to run, rather then having to try to get them moving every step of the way.

Incitatus32 09-06-2013 07:00 PM

I'm torn! I love stock horses and western but I also love doing dressage.... I also don't really have a favorite breed though I guess if I absolutely had to choose I'd either go for a QH or a Morgan. haha I go for personality more then I do the breed, and as for disciplines... well I like doing multiple things to mix things up! :)