The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Foal help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/foal-help-27194/)

belgianlover 05-03-2009 10:13 PM

Foal help

my mom got her arab mare back about 2 months ago and well shes pregnant again. They said at first that she would be due in may then august. Well weve been keeping a close eye on her cause she is now as of today 7 ft 10 inc around the widest part of her belly, her vaginal area is longer than normal and right in front of her titts its swelling or filling up. SHe has not lost her appatite or even strayed from the heard, oh plus right on both sides of her tail on top is really soft and on our other mares its not, shes also just about always holding her tail over to the side. So i guess im woundering if there are any more signs to look for. Its driving us nutts not knowing how much longer and we are not experienced with mares in foal, its been over 4 years since her first colt which is when we had her. Any advise?

danastark 05-05-2009 12:22 AM

Personally, I would have the vet out to give her a look-see and whatever shots she's supposed to have right before the baby comes.

Do you know who the father will be?

weefoal 05-05-2009 04:40 PM

None of my mares lose their appetitie and I have had some eat while going down to push LOL

I go mostly by what the milk looks like once I can express it. Most mares will got a hot hard udder hours before they foal and if you express a little milk and its very very sticky and colored like yellow wax the mare is very close

then again mares dont read the foaling books and some will foal with a small bag.

You gotta love foaling season!

Kay

satrider 05-05-2009 05:22 PM

Sounds to me like she's real close to foal, when her butt gets soft it's not very long, if you see any 'waxing" yellow looking sticky stuff, then she'll have it in about 24 hours. But mine didn't wax at all, I was checking everyday several times.
Good luck:-)
P.S. let us know how it goes.

ilovemyPhillip 05-05-2009 06:49 PM

She does sound close, but how close is the question, get a vet to come out and check he over.