The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Horse behavior problems (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/horse-behavior-problems-272178/)

tozel 09-07-2013 03:22 AM

Horse behavior problems

I have a problem with an abused mare that I rescued 5-6 months ago. She gives to pressure on the ground very well, lunges very well, no bad habits that I can see on the ground. When we go trail riding she is fine as long as she is following the alpha mare. If I ask her to do ANYTHING (move forward, turn, etc...) she will not listen. I start with pretty please, she just looks at me. Step it up a notch to please and she still looks at me as if she's saying `do you really think I'm gonna listen to ya?` So I step it up another notch and say `you better` at which point she starts to frantically back up so I don't push her anymore because if I do she rears and then lays down and won't get up. I'm guessing she thinks the alpha mare is higher in the pecking order than I am and I probably should be kicking it up another notch when she tries to lay down but honestly, I don't wanna break a leg or a rib. If I get off and lead her in the same direction that I wanted her to go in while in the saddle, she will lead very smoothly as if it isn't the same horse. Any help will be appreciated...

usandpets 09-07-2013 04:44 AM

If she won't listen to you, I really think you shouldn't be out on the trails with her. Work her in her safe area, near where she stays. Preferably, in an arena or round pen. If she doesn't listen, get off if you need to and put her butt to work. Make her refusal uncomfortable and listening the better choice.

Don't think of her as an abused or rescued horse. That will get you no where except her getting her way. Treat her like any other horse and she will start to behave like any other horse. Don't be afraid to get after her if you need to.
Posted via Mobile Device

tozel 09-07-2013 04:51 AM

thanks for the advice!

SlideStop 09-07-2013 07:58 AM

She rears and falls over? Or she rears, comes down then lays down?

Either way this sounds like a recipe for disaster. Hire a professional before she breaks your neck.
Posted via Mobile Device

tozel 09-09-2013 12:54 AM

sorry I wasn't clear. she doesn't tip over (but she seems to have the potential to tip over which is what really scares me, not the rearing or the laying down. she has a soft indented area on her back the size of a good sized rock which she probably got from tipping over on a rock). anyway, she rears, comes down and then lays down as you said. I would hire a professional but where I live, I don't know of anyone who knows better. Although there are a lot of people who have raised, bred, and trained horses for many years, they really don't know what they're doing. They are not people you would want training your horse after talking to them...