The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   help help please !! need tips ! urgently (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-help-please-need-tips-urgently-272298/)

caramelo 09-07-2013 12:45 PM

help help please !! need tips ! urgently

hi, im bringing to the uk my beloveded childhood pony! whos travelling in ocotber from spain (andalucia) where theres no grass !to the uk and i dont know what to feed her on or how to help her settle in and what i need to buy her! she is a pure breed spanish horse (pura raza espanola) and is 17 years old 15hh and dapple grey please i would be extremly great full for any tips / adivce thanks.

Chevaux 09-07-2013 12:55 PM

First off, where do you plan on keeping her when she comes to the UK?

deserthorsewoman 09-07-2013 03:20 PM

What is she eating in andalucia currently, forage, grains?
Will she be living outdoors or in a stall?

VickiRose 09-07-2013 08:49 PM

Decide on what you will be aiming to feed her, and where you will be keeping her.

Then look at what she is currently fed and the area where she is kept.

You then need to look at a step by step transition between the two.

Try to make sure that the feed etc on the transport you are using to get her there is the same as in Spain, and keep her feed the same of a week or two after you get her to her new home. This will let her get used to everything else thats new before throwing new feed into the equation. It might mean transporting a bag or two of feed over from Spain with her too.

Then slowly, transition her to the new feed/routine.

Thats the basics, the specifics will depend on you particular situation, but the original post didn't have much detail.
Good Luck

caramelo 09-12-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevaux (Post 3572466)
First off, where do you plan on keeping her when she comes to the UK?

Wolverhampton on a livery yard which has a stable and a paddock full of grass for her to graze in
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 09-12-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelo (Post 3615714)
Wolverhampton on a livery yard which has a stable and a paddock full of grass for her to graze in
Posted via Mobile Device

Totally off thread here - but I know Wolverhampton very well - my youngest was born in the hospital there!!!
Sorry to digress
If its the grazing that worries you you're going to be moving at a time when the UK grass is mostly losing its richness - there is the autumn flush there that can spike the sugars a bit but if you're going to be able to stable at night and restrict the grazing that way too if you need too you will likely be OK
Not sure how big an area of paddock you have but if you're not sharing then maybe you can split it into smaller sections with electric tape too

deserthorsewoman 09-12-2013 03:38 PM

Most important is starting her slow on grass. Half an hour first day, then 10-15 minutes longer every day. Make sure she has plenty of hay and maybe even straw for roughage to help a little with the " watery" grass and possible loose poops. Her gut bacteria have to adapt to the different food.