The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Pony jumping? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/pony-jumping-272418/)

Chevylover96 09-07-2013 04:41 PM

Pony jumping?

Okay so my friend recently bought a pony, he is 13.2 and very stalky (haflinger/QH). My friend is 5"2 and not too heavy but not skinny either. Anyway the goal has always been to teach him to jump, he's very green right now, but can jump about 2 foot vertical. My coach found out and says we're going to cripple him because he's too small?? I don't understand. At my old barn there was a 13.2hh lesson pony who looked identical to her pony, he was 25 and still jumping. And he was ridden by everyone! Tall people, heavy people and they all jumped him like 3 feet. He's been jumping for like ever, and he's still sound. Is there any truth to what my instructor is saying? He's green but has lots of muscles, from spending lots of time on hills, cantering, and long and low trotting exercises and poles. He also always wears some sort of protective leg wear and he gets a joint supplement for prevention.
Posted via Mobile Device

CandyCanes 09-07-2013 04:58 PM

What age is the pony?
It wouldn't be crippled because it was small, no way. More because it was way too young, and jumped too much. As in in was 2-3 years old and jumping big fences every day.

Endiku 09-07-2013 06:24 PM

Also, if he's still very green as you say, your coach may have meant you're doing too much too fast. 2 foot verticles are too high for a green horse.

Chevylover96 09-07-2013 09:48 PM

The pony is 5, he was trained as a 2 year old (not by us), then pretty much put out to pasture. And to clarify he's only done 2 feet once, he usually does tiny cross rails that resemble raised poles really! But he also doesn't jump very often... So I'm not really sure what's going on.
Posted via Mobile Device

freia 09-07-2013 10:57 PM

I've seen a lot of 13hh or so ponies jump higher than the big boys. Many of them are very tough and athletic. It's not at all uncommon. Pnies tend to be pretty brave too, so many of them really love the jumps.

The issue is not whether a mature, healthy pony can or should jump, so your coach must be thinking of something other than the pony's size.

At 5, he can go ahead and jump. Is he sound? Any injuries or developmental issues? When he was trained at age 2, was he trained lightly or was there a heavy load or hard impacts that may have caused musculo-skeletal problems? Just trying to figure out what your trainer might be concerned about.

For giggles, go to youtube and type in pony jumping and you'll see that those little guys can really fly!

I learned to jump on Fjords, which are usually in the 13-14hh range. Jumps were mostly around 2 feet, and we maxed out at 3'. Similar build to the Haflinger, I would think? Here's a random pic of a Fjord flying high:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...78692310958713

BTW, my 8-year-old daughter takes lessons on a 12hh Welsh pony that's hunter-trained, with lots of competitions and wins under her girth. That little mare is 29 years old, and still teaches all the smaller riders a thing or two about a hunter-course with gusto.

Chevylover96 09-08-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freia (Post 3576898)
I've seen a lot of 13hh or so ponies jump higher than the big boys. Many of them are very tough and athletic. It's not at all uncommon. Pnies tend to be pretty brave too, so many of them really love the jumps.

The issue is not whether a mature, healthy pony can or should jump, so your coach must be thinking of something other than the pony's size.

At 5, he can go ahead and jump. Is he sound? Any injuries or developmental issues? When he was trained at age 2, was he trained lightly or was there a heavy load or hard impacts that may have caused musculo-skeletal problems? Just trying to figure out what your trainer might be concerned about.

For giggles, go to youtube and type in pony jumping and you'll see that those little guys can really fly!

I learned to jump on Fjords, which are usually in the 13-14hh range. Jumps were mostly around 2 feet, and we maxed out at 3'. Similar build to the Haflinger, I would think? Here's a random pic of a Fjord flying high:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...78692310958713

BTW, my 8-year-old daughter takes lessons on a 12hh Welsh pony that's hunter-trained, with lots of competitions and wins under her girth. That little mare is 29 years old, and still teaches all the smaller riders a thing or two about a hunter-course with gusto.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think he was started lightly. And he is 100% sound with no past injuries. I found the pony for my friend, and brought him to the barn, my coach had nothing to do with it, so she doesn't know nearly as much as we do about his past, she didn't even talk to the previous owner. He definitely didn't do any jumping, barrels or anything strenuous like that as a 2 year old, he did walk, trot and maybe canter. I've seen the pony at the other barn (looks like her ponies twin!) jump 3 feet with riders that are 200 pounds, and he didn't struggle at all, my friend is not 200 pounds, and he doesn't struggle with her either. I'm just not sure where she's coming from, and it's kinda annoying because his owner already doesn't have much confidence jumping, and she really cares about what people think, so she won't even canter In front of my instructor since she said that... I'm kind of coaching her right now, so it's a major set back, seeing as every time I tell my friend to do something she looks at the door first to make sure my instructor isn't there, then she doesn't do as well because she's constantly worried. She hasn't done even a trotting pole since. I'm hoping this forum will help her see that not everyone feels that way, or that my instructor is wrong!!
Posted via Mobile Device

freia 09-08-2013 01:02 AM

Here: jumping Haflingers: No problem. And I sure do love those thick, blond manes flowing int he wind as they jump..

https://www.google.com/search?q=hafl...w=1920&bih=961

Ask the instructor/trainer/coach EXACTLY what her concern is. These ponies can jump. They're tough and stout and built like tanks. She may just not be used to ponies and is unaware of what they're capable of. Many people are also predjudiced about horse breeds, just like some people judge people. Some people love the big breeds, and are convinced that the small breeds are worthless. Your friend needs to find out where this coach is really coming from. There is nothing about the Haflinger breed that would keep it from jumping, and jumping well, with an adult on board.

Just FYI, it's only in the US that a "pony" is defined as being under 14.2hh. In Europe, ponies are defined according to body type, proportion, build, attitude, etc. We (I'm Norwegian) do not consider the Fjord or Haflinger or similar breeds to be ponies, despite their height. They're horses. Let them live and ride like horses.