The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What kind of saddle is this? (

NorthernMama 05-04-2009 09:54 PM

What kind of saddle is this?
1 Attachment(s)
All I know is that it's a Crosby. What I need to know is: is this saddle for general usage or jumping or dressage or what? How would this a saddle work for moving my 6yr OTSB from bareback to a saddle? I want something that she will be able to feel me well with.


brookelovesparelli 05-04-2009 10:00 PM

im not good with any saddle stuff but i guess it'd be an all-purpose or jumping

koomy56 05-04-2009 10:06 PM

Close-contact jumping saddle.

masatisan 05-04-2009 10:16 PM

Looks like a close contact to me. Yeah, that's what it is. Well I guess you can't get much better than a close contact, as far as her feeling you goes, that's what they were made for.

JokerGoddess 05-04-2009 10:30 PM

I believe that that saddle pictured is a close contact saddle.
It is not a dressage saddle, because their flaps are not curved and dressage saddles have a very deep seat. All-Purpose saddles have a slightly more shallow seat than the Dressage, and curved flaps with bigger knee pads than the close contact saddle, padded panels, and most of the time a round cantle.
Close contact saddles have a relatively flat seat, like saddle seats, squared cantles most of the time, forward flaps with minimal knee pads, and thin panels to feel the horse's sides.

Close contact jumping saddle:

All purpose saddle:

In my humble opinion, if you prefer for the horse to feel you go with the close contact, because your horse will be able to feel your legs much more easily than in any other saddle. But honestly, you could really go with any saddle, if they are used to you being on their back, there should not be much trouble with a saddle on their back. If anything plop the saddle on, and lunge them, and add some weight to the stirrups to get him used to the feel of the saddle. : )

Has he been ridden with a saddle before, or are you just breaking him in?

NorthernMama 05-04-2009 10:31 PM

Ok, close contact. Great. I like that part.

What about the jumping part? Anyone else think it's for jumping? If so, will that throw my seat off for just flat work?

I just want her to learn go, stop, left, right, faster, slower. Nothing fancy. And DEFINITELY no jumping, though I'm sure she'd be awesome at it.

NorthernMama 05-04-2009 10:38 PM

Joker -- she has only been ridden since I got her. She was trained for harness and not much at that.

She's much better at learning this spring than she was last summer when she got here! She finally has learned something about MY space! Whew! Thank goodness for steel-toed boots!

Anyway, this summer I must focus more on her because MDH wants to ride with me, so I need to get this girl in line. I mostly rode her bareback before because she was racing thin and I didn't want to buy a saddle without having some idea what her shape was going to be like. She's been pretty good with me on her. Doesn't care if I'm there, but definitely lets me know if she's confused! LOL. It's a riot when I have the energy, but some days I just don't wanna work so hard.

koomy56 05-04-2009 10:42 PM

Really, its not about the saddle you use to train the things you mentioned. If you really refine your aids a horse can feel you in a big bulky saddle just as well as a flat piece of leather. :)
Different saddles have different effects on people, so you will probably feel a difference than what you're used to. That's normal for any dramatic change of saddle. Just keep trying to find your center of balance and you'll be okay. :)

luvs2ride1979 05-04-2009 11:01 PM

Close Contact saddles are always jumping saddles, for Hunters or Jumpers. You can do flat work in it, but it's not going to be as comfy or secure for flat work as an AP or Dressage saddle. I don't like a bulky saddle myself, and I have been able to find AP and Dressage saddles that fit the bill. You just have to look for one with not a lot of knee roll and not a super deep seat, like a Stubben or Passier AP.

mojo7777 05-05-2009 09:50 PM

That looks like a Crosby Prix des Nations, for sure. I had one for many years. It is a close contact saddle that can be used for flatwork or jumping, depending on how long or short you have the stirrups. I found it to be a very balanced saddle for both uses. And they last forever with good care. They are great saddles!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome