The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trainers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/)
-   -   Please help! Lunging questions! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/please-help-lunging-questions-272721/)

KeanaMills 09-08-2013 05:21 AM

Please help! Lunging questions!

I recently have taken on 2 new horses to train. I used to always have my friend by my side to teach me what I didn't know. I don't believe in hurting a horse to ever get them to do what you want. :? The barn I am currently boarding at, well the girl I met, is a bit too rough when lunging. My problem is.... When I take either horse out to lunge at all the first thing they do is lope around me. They wont move with a lunge line on so I take it off. I can't get them to slow down though! I tried it multiple times with the lunge line on. And then with it off I tried bending down and telling them to "trot", "walk", "stop". They don't respond to anything.... I believe in alot of ground work but I don't do it as much as I probably should. I am trying to do alot more ground work now but I have no idea on how to slow these horses down. They are thoroughbred horses. The mom is 18, and her son is 8. Mom is named Ruby, but I usually just call her mama. and well her kid was named Kid. I usually call him baby though. I didn't name them and they both know their names so well I feel in the wrong to change them. lol. But yea. any advice would be amazing.! :lol:

RedTree 09-08-2013 06:47 AM

Lead them first and when ever you stop say and whoa or halt, and when ever you walk on say walk on, if you want them to trot while you leading them say trot in run faster, tap them with a dressage whip if they don't follow or just click.

If you do this everytime you handle these horses they pick up the cues pretty easy.

Also when there cantering just let them go and when they start to slow down push them that little bit further and then tell them to slow down.

gssw5 09-08-2013 12:14 PM

When you are lunging them off the line and off do lots of changes of direction. Do not let them go more then two or three circles then change direction. That will get them paying attention to you, and help them to relax and slow down. When they decide to trot let them but keep the changes of direction frequent. Do not think of lunging as a way to tire them out think of it as a way to gain their respect and teach them that you can direct their feet.

Skyseternalangel 09-08-2013 07:42 PM

It sounds like they're either expecting to just run around like crazy (some people think lunging is to tire them out) or they are unfocused and using this opportunity to blindly run.

Break their thought pattern. Turn them, spiral down until they walk then release. Repeat. Maybe your energy level is too high, or maybe they're trying to communicate that they're confused or not getting enough turnout/too much protein in diet.

Oldhorselady 09-08-2013 07:49 PM

Your body language is too loud and you are driving them forward, or they are not paying any attention to you and being disrespectful. They will not canter forever. If they don't come down from canter when your body language is asking them to, then keep them moving forward for another circle or so, then try again. Eventually, they should respond, and when they do, they get the reward of you not pushing them forward. Then, it should start taking less and less time for them to understand.

tinyliny 09-08-2013 10:02 PM

These are thoroughbreds. Are you taking them out of a stall, or a small paddock and then expecting them to be focussed and NOT want to run around?

be fair to them and let them have some time or place to move as they need to before you put them "in school, behind a desk"

Cherrij 09-09-2013 03:54 AM

Do they have turnout before you work?
When were they taught to lunge? Who else lunges them?
Could it really be someone just lunges them to make them tired?
You need to start from 0, as someone already suggested, work in hand to get the responses for walk, trot, stopping, and only then attempt going on the lunge line.
If possible lunge them somewhere else, not where the other person makes them run like crazy.