The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English saddles???? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-saddles-27306/)

Shawneen 05-05-2009 07:41 PM

English saddles????

Ok so I have been meaning to get a new saddle for a long time. A year or 2 ago I was searching for a new one and all I found are saddles WITH kneepads. I want a close contact saddle and the one I have is a "Kingston"??? It might be an off brand as I was rather young when I got it, but I have taken good care of it. My butt is a little bigger now :oops: so I need a bit bigger seat. I wish I had pics of it, but I don't right now.

It looks like a Crosby with the square back except it is a dark cherry or walnut color - NO kneepads. What's up with all the kneepads?

I've been googling the brand Kingston and can't find anything, and like I said all I can find are knee-padded saddles.

StormyBlues 05-05-2009 09:12 PM

I don't see the problem with the kneepads, they help position and don't interfeer with riding at all.

Shawneen 05-05-2009 09:31 PM

I've just never liked them - just a preference thing I guess.

luvs2ride1979 05-05-2009 10:18 PM

Padded flaps have been popular for the last 5-10 years or so. Plain flap saddles just aren't made much anymore, unless you special order one. You can find used saddles that are plain flap, but they are going to be older saddles.

What seat and tree size do you need? Price range? I'll see if I can find some for you.

If your price range is high, you can order a custom Stubben or Passier with a plain flap. It will cost more than a standard saddle, and there will be a 8-10 week wait on it. I believe some Courbettes can also be ordered with a plain flap.

Snaffle 05-06-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 302165)
I don't see the problem with the kneepads, they help position and don't interfeer with riding at all.

My friend hated knee rolls. She felt like her legs were being pushed out.
On the other hand, I can't ride without kneerolls. It keeps my legs secure when I'm jumping.

There are a quite a bit here- http://www.cowboycenter.com/close.htm

Under the collegiate saddle section-Foxhunter Saddles

IrishRider 05-06-2009 11:53 AM

What size did you need? I might know of a Crosby for sale. I believe it's a 16.5 with a cutback pommel for larger withered horses. It does not have knee rolls.

ZackLover1 05-09-2009 07:46 PM

New HUS Saddle ideas?

what are everyone's preferences for a hunter under saddle show saddle? I am casually looking for a new one and I can't seem to find one that I like...My horse is bred a a halter paint horse so he is relatively wide with low withers, it needs to be a reasonable price (under 2000) and accomodate longer legs...any suggestions out there?

back in the crosby again 05-09-2009 08:13 PM

I know what you mean about the knee pads. I don't like them either. You can get some of the higher end saddles new without them as luvs2ride said. Also, libertyville saddle shop has gold medal brand saddles in the 800-1200 range. Don't know anything about the brand, but they are one of the only saddle company's that offer them and are not super low end. You can always find India made saddles without the padding, but the leather will be like cardboard.

If you are looking in the lower price range I would suggest getting a used one. Crosbys are wonderful and always available used.

luvs2ride1979 05-10-2009 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackLover1 (Post 304329)
what are everyone's preferences for a hunter under saddle show saddle? I am casually looking for a new one and I can't seem to find one that I like...My horse is bred a a halter paint horse so he is relatively wide with low withers, it needs to be a reasonable price (under 2000) and accomodate longer legs...any suggestions out there?

Look at Thornhill's line and Duett, both can be ordered with long flaps. Duett's Allegro is suitable for showing. Another good one you could find used in your price range is a County or a Scheelse (sp?), which are adjustable by a saddle fitter.

Courbette's Primera with the x-wide Flex tree would be a good option. They are designed for wider/flatter backed horses and the styling is very nice for the show ring. They can also be semi-custom ordered with a long flap. Or the wide flex in the Alpina, which is more traditionally styled.

ZackLover1 05-10-2009 03:46 PM

Those were all awesome...thanks so much :D