The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Proper Attire for Western Judge (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/proper-attire-western-judge-273161/)

NorthernMama 09-08-2013 08:33 PM

Proper Attire for Western Judge

My girlfriend is a carded judge and has always been told she needs to wear pants and a jacket. She would like to wear a full, boot length western style skirt instead. Next year this is going to be asked at a judge's meeting for input.

Does anyone have any experience with this? It's AQHA and WHA(?) rules in Ontario.

~*~anebel~*~ 09-08-2013 08:53 PM

Not a western judge, but, as far as I know there aren't any dress rules for judges (but check the rules anyways). For me (dressage judge) basically business casual seems to work well. Mid-long skirts, pants, even knee length shorts work well. And when it's hot many will end up in a nice v neck tee or other work appropriate shirt, no jacket. Basically if I would wear it to the office, I consider it OK for a judge at a show. Many FEI (international) judges dress much the same, and we've had some in jeans in recent years!!

waresbear 09-08-2013 09:26 PM

I have seen one older woman judge, Equine Canadian approved show, wear a longer western skirt and a blazer and cowboy hat.

NorthernMama 09-09-2013 04:55 PM

Thanks. We are thinking as well that there aren't any actual rules for the judges' attire. I guess the winter/spring meeting will be more informative.

spurstop 09-14-2013 10:27 PM

If she is carded with AQHA, she would need to speak to Alex Ross about it. In the AQHA handbook, it does state that a judge is to wear western attire including boots and hat. (There's an exception for English special events.)

As an exhibitor, I don't find a long skirt appropriate in the AQHA ring. I think that a suit is a much more professional and authoritative look.

NorthernMama 09-15-2013 10:49 AM

Thank you. I'll run that name by her.