The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Health (/horse-health/)
-   -   PPE: Pre or Post Trial? (

Avonde 09-08-2013 08:51 PM

PPE: Pre or Post Trial?
The horse I'm interested in currently is located a good 1 and a half hours away from where I live, and longer from where the vet I use is. I know dragging them all the way out there would seriously crank up the price tag of the PPE, and I was wondering if it would be worth my time to, since I found a nice trailering price, take the horse on trial and then have it vetted so that it's more convenient for me and my vet.

I understand that if there are any serious faults I will have to pay to have it trailered back, however if it does work out it could save me a lot of time and money. Any thoughts?

natisha 09-09-2013 10:51 AM

Sure, you could do that. I had one on trial & had everything done at my place. It worked out well & as my vet has a portable digital X-ray machine we took all kinds of pictures too.
The only thing done in advance was a Coggins test.

verona1016 09-09-2013 06:40 PM

It's a gamble, but I think it's worth it to have your regular vet do the PPE when possible. It's what I did when I was horse shopping- I did actually end up having to send back the first horse I brought home on trial because she didn't pass the PPE (due to behavioral issues!) Had I not brought her home and just sent a vet over to coordinate with the seller, I may or may not have known about those issues before fully committing to buy her. I did the same for he horse I did end up buying.

tlkng1 09-09-2013 07:05 PM

If the seller is willing then bring the horse to your barn and do the PPE there.

Avonde 09-09-2013 10:07 PM

Perfect. Thanks a bunch, guys. ;)

Hunter65 09-10-2013 07:33 PM

One of my horses is out on trial right now. She is doing a ppe on the 18th. I think it will work out fine and you get to spend time with horse and learn about him
Posted via Mobile Device

teamfire 09-10-2013 11:03 PM

Let me tell you my personal experience.

I went out to see a lovely mare about 4 hours out. Wonderful temperament, wonderful conformation. It was snowy and icy, so I didn't get to do a proper ride (just walked around) but did see her getting lunged.

So we are to take her on trial, which was negotiated due to the fact I couldn't really see how she really goes. So there goes the choice: PPE before or after??

Since there was a specialist vet in lameness around, I decided to do the PPE beforehand. Thank goodness. The horse had bone chips in her hoof and would not ever be riding sound and inoperable. That saved me the heartache (and cost!) of her going unsound on me during the trial.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome