The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bits.. whats the difference? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bits-whats-difference-273225/)

barrelbeginner 09-08-2013 10:34 PM

Bits.. whats the difference?

okay Here are a couple bits. .

now.. what are the differences( obviously there are some. I just don't get bits lol:).. and what are the Pros and Cons of using the bits on a beginner barrel horse.. that just needs some lift and flexing.:) thanks

Westen AT Dot Dogbone Long Sliding Gag Bit - Horse.com

Westen SS Snaffle Long Cheek Training Bit - Horse.com

Anyone have a good bit? the second one. I was really just wondering why the things are sooo long?

and thanks

not sure if either of those bits are good for barrel racing:) any info appreciated:D

tinyliny 09-08-2013 10:44 PM

neither link works.

skipsangelheir 09-08-2013 10:48 PM

Definite no for the second, i wouldnt put that on a horse i hated. I personally don't care for twisted wire, but I think that bit is a little better. I know horse.com has some pretty good bits, ill post links in a few
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 09-08-2013 10:48 PM

The second one...just no. It's not a snaffle, for one thing. For another, those shanks are almost cruely long. I didn't read how long they are, but I would think that with as long as they are, they'd have a ratio of 1:3+. Meaning for every pound of pressure you exert on the bit, the shanks magnify that by three times...or more. Combine that with a single joint mouthpiece...yikes!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelbeginner 09-08-2013 10:52 PM

^^ There 9 iches.. 0.0 and ok;) anything helps:) as I am looking for a new bit for Sunny and barrels:)

LouieThePalomino 09-08-2013 10:53 PM

Well I wouldnt use either bit on a beginner barrel horse. The first one because it is a twisted wire mouthpiece which can be quite severe and if used incorrectly could make the horse hardmouthed. The second I wouldnt use because it has really long shanks and can also be quite severe. What bit are you using on your horse now?

And I also suggest to buy your bits at a feed or tack store because sometimes when you buy online the quality is questionable.
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelbeginner 09-08-2013 10:56 PM

Im not sure exactly what the bit is called. my neighbor told me to try it on him.. but I know its twisted wire. and has the rope nose piece up top. I have no idea what bit to try out ATM either.. just something to help lift him up.. and get more flex? maybe haha:)

DraftyAiresMum 09-08-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieThePalomino (Post 3585617)
And I also suggest to buy your bits at a feed or tack store because sometimes when you buy online the quality is questionable.
Posted via Mobile Device

This isn't as much true when buying bits. For example, I found a bit that smrobs uses and suggested to me at my local CAL Ranch store. She posted a link for the exact same bit on the Chicks Saddlery website. As long as you double-check the material/metal content when buying online, you should be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

skipsangelheir 09-08-2013 11:04 PM

Westen SS Dogbone Copper Roller O-Ring Bit - Horse.com I personally want this snaffle
Western BS Dogbone Tear Drop Training Bit - Horse.com nice smooth mouth dogbone
Westen SS Lifesaver Sliding Short Gag Bit - Horse.com short shank gag
Well, I hope you get the picture now. Notice no combo bits, no long shanks and no single jointed bits. I have used all these bits on several horses and they were accepted by all.

Iseul 09-08-2013 11:05 PM

I personally love this bit. I usually use this one specifically as my transition bit between a snaffle and a curb (unless the horse already started in a hack, then I usually go straight to this bit).

Western BS Dogbone Tear Drop Training Bit - Horse.com

The first bit I actually like, aside from the twisted mouthpiece. If it were a smooth mouthpiece it would be a decent option.
Posted via Mobile Device