The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Balance While Shoeing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/balance-while-shoeing-27340/)

KTSpeedhorse 05-06-2009 01:27 PM

Balance While Shoeing?

So, Monday was the second time that I have had Millie shod. The first time my ferrier came to the house and the ground is not totally level plus the wind was up and all. She was constantly leaning on him and acting like she was going to lay down. I ended up holding her lead and getting after her a little when she would start to lean. He blamed it on the non-level ground and the weather that time.

On Monday I took her to his place. We were in the dairy barn with level footing and I held her again. She did the same things. Then he said it was becuase she just dosn't have good balance. What do you think?

FYI. She has no pain issues. I have taken her to the chiro 2x in the past 2 months and she shows no soreness anywhere. She is fine to ride and on her own.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Maybe she is just lazy. She seems to like to have her feet done, so I was thinking she may just be getting so relaxed that this happens. She never fell or laid down, but I just dont know if it could be a balance issue???

Shawneen 05-06-2009 01:40 PM

I had a horse that did kind of the same thing. What we did was get a soft cotton lead rope and put it around his pastern and pulled his foot up forward and just held it there for about 5 minutes, then 10 etc etc. We did this everyday for quite a while and he got the idea tht he could just stand there.
His issue was with hind legs, no problems with the front.

Spastic_Dove 05-06-2009 01:42 PM

My horse used to do this. I blamed it on him being lazy. If I wiggled the lead rope or gave a sharp "Eh!" noise he would stand fine so I don't think it was balance.
Don't know if this is the case with your girl

KTSpeedhorse 05-06-2009 01:43 PM

Her's seems to be only with the front, but I could do the same thing I guess.

KTSpeedhorse 05-06-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 302534)
My horse used to do this. I blamed it on him being lazy. If I wiggled the lead rope or gave a sharp "Eh!" noise he would stand fine so I don't think it was balance.
Don't know if this is the case with your girl

Maybe, becuase that is what I had to do. Wiggle the lead and grouch at her and she would straiten up most of the time.

Spastic_Dove 05-06-2009 01:50 PM

I just think they get lazy.
I probably would too if I had to stand around on one foot :P

PS: I want more pictures of your girl!

KTSpeedhorse 05-06-2009 02:15 PM

That's probably all it is. His comment about balance bothered me though.

P.S.S.
I jsut uploaded some but they aren't super pics. Once we get some good riding in I will get some more and possible video.

Vidaloco 05-06-2009 04:43 PM

How old is she? Saro does this with the farrier too. I blame it on her age (she is 3) and that she is a bit lazy and slow to move her feet in general. When I clean her feet she is fine. When the farrier is trimming her front feet, she leans and will practically fall over. I have been doing the farrier moves when I clean her feet, moving the leg forward and back, holding it awhile etc. It seems to be helping :?

KTSpeedhorse 05-06-2009 04:56 PM

She is 9.

Vidaloco 05-08-2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTSpeedhorse (Post 302689)
She is 9.

Old enough to know better then. Hmmmm gotta wonder if there is a health issue.