The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Over Reach and Boots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/over-reach-boots-27359/)

Appy Luvr 05-06-2009 06:09 PM

Over Reach and Boots

I'm back with more questions :lol:
I've noticed my 2 yr old clips her front feet with her back. She needs a trim so that's part of it (it's impossible to get a farrier during calving season:roll:) and she'll be getting one soon but other than that, what causes a horse to do this?
I've never used boots before but I'm thinking of getting some to use with her when I am working with her. What kind should I get? SMBs seem to be the popular choice from what I've read but what kind? I, II or Elites? Are the Overreach boots that go with these a good choice for her?
I'm going to start some small jumping with with my 10 yr old, would SMBs be a good choice for him as well?

KTSpeedhorse 05-06-2009 06:50 PM

I like the SMB's. They seem to be pretty durable and nice and smooth on the inside. Where are you in Montana? I'm in Helena. I know what you mean about finding a ferrier during calving season. My guy is super busy. I got lucky on Monday and was able to track him down though : )

eventnwithwinston 05-06-2009 07:13 PM

When a horse over reaches, it is often his hind toe "grabbing" the heel of the front. Sometimes the hind toe can even pull a shoe. Overreaching doesnt really affect his canon and the area where you put SMBS or splint boots, just his heels, coronet, fetlock and shoe. If a horse forges it is just when the hind foot strikes the front foot. Most likely the result of long toes.

For both faults, I would use bell boots. They keep the horse from grabbing his heep, pulling his shoe off, or bruising his coronet.

:) Eventnwithwinston

Appy Luvr 05-06-2009 07:58 PM

KTSpeedhorse, I'm over by Baker, Eastern Montana.

StormyBlues 05-06-2009 11:01 PM

Yes, you want bell boots. I would advise to get the ones that pull over the foot than velcro on. I just don't like the thought of the horse accedentaly undoing the velcro. Very unlikly, but I am a control freak, so when I don't control something...... not good

MIEventer 05-08-2009 03:21 PM

I would get your farrier to rocker your horses back toes, that'll help with the over reaching/clipping.

Professional Choice makes great Bell Boots specifically for horses who over reach. They are fabulous.

Secure-Fit Overreach Boots - Dover Saddlery...

They also go great with the SMB's Elites and the newer model.

Appy Luvr 05-08-2009 04:54 PM

Those are the ones I was looking at. I guess I'll have to get her a set if trimming her doesn't fix the problem.

MIEventer 05-08-2009 05:01 PM

Ask your Farrier to Rocker her back toes. He should know what you are speaking of.

Appy Luvr 05-09-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 303846)
Ask your Farrier to Rocker her back toes. He should know what you are speaking of.

I'm thinking he won't know :oops: could you explain it to me so I have an idea of what you mean?

MIEventer 05-09-2009 12:32 AM

Rocking your horses toes, is where the Farrier will roll the toes. The breakover point on the hoof can be too long, so if your farrier "rocks" them, it will be easier for your horse to move their foot out of the way faster - so they don't clip the fronts.

When the hoof has too long of a toe *which I am finding too many Farriers doing now-a-days* the hoof cannot leave the ground as fast - so it remains on the ground longer.

Make sure your horses fronts are properly angled as well -the fronts could be causing the issue as well.

I would definately look into a Farrier who is very educated on proper angles of the horses hoof, to coincide with your horses pasturns, shoulders, hips and back.

I for the longest time - had a farrier doing incorrect angles on my TB, leaving him with long toes, no blood flow, no heels and thins soles. I spent all winter with a new farrier doing corrective shoeing to mend the error's.

Maybe some pictures of your horses hooves, standing on a solid flat surface - would help :)

~~~

On that note, bell boots only mute the issue.

There is nothing wrong with bell boots with velcro, if you choose to go with bells, I'd definately go with those Professional Choice Over Reach boots. My MIL has them, and they are great!