The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Fly nuts riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/fly-nuts-riding-273593/)

Lafitte 09-09-2013 05:29 PM

Fly nuts riding?

I didn't know where to put this, plus it's a hypothetical question for those experienced people that have gone through it but I have a horse that I mess with and she's sensitive to flies that are on her (doesn't have allergic reaction just doesn't like them on her) she moves around, and depending on where she's at, she'll try to get away from them. My question is, when you ride her, won't she still be the same way if you ride her and won't she possibly go nuts? If so, is there a way to train this or work around it? Just curious. Thanks.

pbeebs 09-09-2013 06:01 PM

Even my "fly babies" have been ok under saddle, because you're constantly moving which helps with the flies a bit! Only time they ever try to get away from them undersaddle is when a huge horse fly is biting on them somewhere...those suckers are persistent!

Brenna Lee 09-09-2013 06:22 PM

OMG THE VISUAL THAT TITLE GAVE ME...O.O:rofl:

Fulford15 09-09-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenna Lee (Post 3591017)
OMG THE VISUAL THAT TITLE GAVE ME...O.O:rofl:

Glad I wasn't the only one with their mind in the gutter :lol:

greentree 09-09-2013 06:36 PM

Are you talking about big horse flies, or small stable flies?

I use Deep Woods Off on the sensitive horses rears and flanks when I ride them. It is the only thing that seems to repel the horse flies at all. It adds up quickly, so I only use it on the most sensitive horses.

Nancy

xlionesss 09-09-2013 06:42 PM

Wow I need to try this, thanks! I fell off my super sensitive boy last night due to him going sideways after one bit him.. Soaking in my tub as I type......

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentree (Post 3591129)
Are you talking about big horse flies, or small stable flies?

I use Deep Woods Off on the sensitive horses rears and flanks when I ride them. It is the only thing that seems to repel the horse flies at all. It adds up quickly, so I only use it on the most sensitive horses.

Nancy

Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 09-09-2013 06:45 PM

A good fly repellant,and a mask with ears make it much easier on the horse. The flies are drawn to carbon dioxide so the more the horse heats up, the greater attraction to the flies.

Lafitte 09-09-2013 09:51 PM

All flies, but the big horse flies annoy her more than anything.

farahmay 10-12-2013 03:45 AM

Fly sprays can be expensive, try diluted vinegar

beverleyy 10-12-2013 07:29 PM

I have a mare who is allergic to mosquitoes and sensitive to pretty much all other bugs. She is fine under saddle as long as she is kept moving, occasionally if it's a later summer night and mosquitoes are really bad, and I have her at a walk, she will attempt kicking herself and biting herself under saddle ...at that point I generally just pick up our pace or chose to end the ride depending. She's never once been out of control though.