The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Curb Strap? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/curb-strap-27360/)

Appy Luvr 05-06-2009 05:21 PM

Curb Strap?

Do you use a curb/chin strap with a snaffle bit? :oops: I always have (Western you know....) but I'm not sure if your suppose to??

~*~anebel~*~ 05-06-2009 05:37 PM

There really isn't a point, curb straps are designed to keep the curb from tilting "up" too much, and because a snaffle can't really tilt, well.. You get the point.
I can see how if it was moderately tightened it could keep the bit rings from jingling on an oversensitive horse, and act like a flash on an english snaffle bridle, but I don't really know how effective it would be...

KTSpeedhorse 05-06-2009 05:44 PM

I do....never heard that you couldn't.

Vidaloco 05-06-2009 05:56 PM

I've used them on a snaffle bit. Mostly it works to keep the bit from pulling through the mouth. Unlike on a curb/shanked bit where it works as a pressure point in training.

LeahKathleen 05-06-2009 06:48 PM

I use one because Daisy plays with her bit a lot and she tends to shift it side to side sometimes. They are used differently with a curb bit, and you certainly don't need one with a snaffle.

Also, it's pink, and it matches her bridal and saddle pad. >.> Ha ha.

wild_spot 05-06-2009 07:17 PM

I've never heard it called a curb strap. Here we call it a lip strap, and it's different to a curb strap/chain... But yeah, loads of stockhorse people use them. It's helps prevent the bit from pulling through the horses mouth suring tight turns or high adrenalin work, especially used in campdrafting.

Spirithorse 05-07-2009 06:31 PM

I always use a chin strap with my snaffle. It prevents the bit from sliding through the mouth. I don't put it on tight, either. I don't want it against the horse, just tight enough where it prevents the bit from sliding.

masatisan 05-07-2009 06:56 PM

I've seen it used for training by tying the rings so that it adds pressure on the opposite side to encourage the horse to turn.

NorthernMama 05-07-2009 09:39 PM

I use it on my snaffles, including my french link. I clip the reins on between the bit and the curb strap. Initially I did it to prevent the bit from pulling through he mouth on a bit of a stinker horse I had, but I have kept it up because especially with the reins in between it does help communicate better. Just another point of contact.