The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   western and english (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/western-english-27391/)

appy rider 4 life 05-07-2009 09:10 AM

western and english

So my dad wants me to ride Calvin in western till we get his issues worked out. but the thing is he is a english horse to the bone and his owner has rode him in western and he does not seem to mind it but is it possible to teach him to do both when has been english all his life? he does really well with english and i do not want to mess that up! he has really nice head set for english and i know a lot of about western i do not want to confuse him. so again is it possible for him to do both? http://www.e-equestrian.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

iridehorses 05-07-2009 11:05 AM

The short answer is "yes". Many, many horses have very successful careers doing both.

Appy Luvr 05-07-2009 11:24 AM

My 10yr old has always been western....but I'm planning on turning him english this summer, lol!!

G and K's Mom 05-07-2009 11:28 AM

For sure . My guy's know the difference. They have the nicest slow western jog on a loose rein and a beautiful extended trot with some contact with an english saddle .

JustDressageIt 05-07-2009 02:36 PM

Absolutely go for it. In the end what you'll have is a well-rounded horse :)

Sixxofdiamonds 05-07-2009 04:43 PM

Sure, you can ride both!

I go over jumps and extended trot in a western saddle. I jog and lope in an english saddle and even make him spin.

He does what I ask and places his head where I ask no matter if we're riding western, english or bareback. I'll bet yours will, too!

appy rider 4 life 05-08-2009 08:24 AM

Okay thanks guys i can not wait i need to get my saddle soon! he is very responsive to cues so it should go smooth!

back in the crosby again 05-10-2009 06:15 PM

I think everyone agrees that any horse can go both western and english with no problems. I have always thought the more disciplines a horse works in the better the horse will be.

Just curious why do you want to do it? If he is most comfortable with english and that is what he has done in the past changing on him now when he is having issues just might become more of a problem. Some more sensitive horses get a little freaked out by the extra weight and bulk. If you are going to ride western so that you have horn to hold on to, then that is not a good reason. If you need to hold on to a horn to stay on then you are not balanced in the saddle. If it is because you are more comfortable in a western saddle and he is not affected by it, then that is fine.

bgood400 05-11-2009 11:58 AM

They can absolutely do both! I show my horse both english and western and he does great at both.

Here is a video of him doing both english and western:

farmpony84 05-11-2009 01:41 PM

plus, you can ride your horse english and just use a western saddle. are you talking "show' the horse western or ride it western? I use my western saddle for everything I only use my english saddle on show days...