The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   ? Body shaving ? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/body-shaving-27410/)

Shawneen 05-07-2009 04:51 PM

? Body shaving ?

I wasn't sure where to put this but I'm sure someone here will know the answer lol

I have been seeing a lot of pictures of horses that are body shaved, but leave the legs and it looked like they shave designs??? Is this a new fad... if so is it for showing or just because?
Forgive me I haven't been in the loop for a while and I was just curious. When we would go to big shows we would body shave our horses, but I have never left their legs etc.

It looks pretty cool :)

Thanks

moomoo 05-07-2009 05:22 PM

It depends really :-P I'm in the UK so it may be different but we clip thinking about work load, usually Misty gets a full clip bar legs to keep them warm when she is out but this winter she was turned out a lot so she had a blanket clip to keep her back and buttocks warm in the field but not get sweaty when ridden etc. You get all clips in the show ring :)

1dog3cats17rodents 05-08-2009 02:04 PM

They sometimes clip the areas that get sweaty (chest, sides, girth) Or clip that areas that get covered with a blanket. Legs get cold, so those are often left un clipped

upnover 05-08-2009 08:33 PM

Not a new fad! i think what you're describing is a typical "hunter clip". It's great for horses that work hard during the winter months. They keep the hair on the legs for extra warmth, but clip the hair where the horse will sweat the most so it's easier and faster to cool them down without chilling them.

Shawneen 05-09-2009 12:19 PM

That's really interesting, I have never done that - except when we'd go to big shows in the winter, like I said - that was primarily so the horse looked decent and not all shaggy. hmmmmmm

Thanks for the info everyone