The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Question about paso fino bit! (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/question-about-paso-fino-bit-274146/)

featherfox 09-10-2013 05:06 PM

Question about paso fino bit!

Hello everyone,

I just recently got an older Paso who is turning out to be a great horse.

I found him a great saddle that doesn't restrict his shoulders, but I am having a hard time finding a bit for him.

To my knowledge he was being used for barrel racing in the past by his previous owner. He moves well of my leg and has good respect under saddle.

My problem is that the bit that his old owner had him in was a spoon bit. And even though I consider myself to have soft hands I really want to change his bit to something less harsh as I believe he does not need to be in the current spoon bit.

He was never trained to neck rein either and this is something I would like to teach him. I have read that most Pasos do not do well in snaffles. Is there any truth to this? Doesn't seem like there would be.. however I am not sure as I have never owned a paso before. He has alot of energy but alot of respect as well. Would It be a better idea to switch him out of the spoon to a less harsh curb?

It was my thought that if he did not neck rein I should not use direct reins. Is this true?

Please let me know what you guys think, I just want to get him out of such a harsh bit. Even with soft hands hes such a good horse and moves well off of pressure I just do not think he needs it.

bbsmfg3 09-10-2013 06:54 PM

A bit is only as severe as the hands using it. If he has been running barrels and is controllable with the current bit, don't believe I'd change the bit.

Until he starts neck reining your only choice is to direct rein, how else would you turn him?

DraftyAiresMum 09-10-2013 07:01 PM

Direct reining in a spoon bit?! :shock:

The horse going well in a snaffle or not has nothing to do with breed and everything to do with training. Try him in a two or three piece snaffle and see how he goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

featherfox 09-10-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by featherfox (Post 3599362)

It was my thought that if he did not neck rein I should not use direct reins. Is this true?

What I meant to say was:

It was my thought that if he does not neck rein I should not use a curb bit to teach him, only a snaffle or hackamore. Is this true?

featherfox 09-10-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 3600666)
The horse going well in a snaffle or not has nothing to do with breed and everything to do with training.

This was my first thought, however while looking at a few forums on the paso I read that most do not do well in a snaffle due their nature to want to go go go. I agree though training is key.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 3600666)
Try him in a two or three piece snaffle and see how he goes.

I guess my biggest concern which I should have posted originally is training him with his current bit. I have graduated my horses to new bits but I have never had to go back to stage 1 in terms of using a bit. I guess I won't know how he will react until I actually get a chance to use it. So, gonna try a two piece snaffle this weekend and see how it goes. Thank you for your suggestion.

DraftyAiresMum 09-10-2013 07:53 PM

I used to ride a Peruvian paso gelding (who was a stud until he was 13) in a loose ring single joint snaffle on the trail and he was a dream.
Posted via Mobile Device

TessaMay 09-10-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by featherfox (Post 3600978)
This was my first thought, however while looking at a few forums on the paso I read that most do not do well in a snaffle due their nature to want to go go go. I agree though training is key.

Training is definitely the key. If a horse has to be in anything harsher than a snaffle than it is either a problem with the horse's training or the rider.

Good luck with the new bit, hopefully he will do well in it.

Guilherme 09-10-2013 10:23 PM

Bits are an area where myth and legend abound. As Bob notes the true power of the bit lies in the hand on the reins. But you can do more damage with lever than without one.

So, I'd recommend you get a couple of books by William Langdon. The first is entitled Bits and Bitting Manual. The companion book is entitled Training with Bits. These two will give you more valuable information on bits and their various uses than you'll find in any 'Net forum.

Good luck in your program.

G.

bbsmfg3 09-10-2013 11:55 PM

"Direct reining in a spoon bit?"

If he does not neck rein, how else would you turn the horse?
You only have 3 choices, direct rein, neck rein or no rein at all(seat & legs).

The very last bit I'd use on any horse, is the snaffle. The snaffle is the A-number-one, tongue pincher. If you really think you need to change, try one of the comfort bits. BUT, before I'd spend much time trying to change, I'd give some serious thought to leaving well enough alone. Some of these rascals can rebel, then you have a fight you really don't want to start. I don't agree with a lot of the training methods some of these paso trainers use, but they've been at it longer than most of us are old. The spoon is very common with them, and like I said, it is only as severe as the hands on the reins.

G8tdh0rse 09-11-2013 03:41 AM

Many pasos have a low palette which is why a traditional two piece snaffle is not recommended. The three piece or comfort snaffles are better for them.