The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   For those of you who have done both... jumpers or eventing? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/those-you-who-have-done-both-27421/)

eventerdrew 05-07-2009 08:57 PM

For those of you who have done both... jumpers or eventing?

Hey guys,
I am an eventer of 5 years and i LOVE it to death. But recent social events have made me think about switching to jumpers. I event in the midwest and the horse community is small. It's sad to say but the situation has gotten to the point that has made me want to switch disciplines ( it's kind of a sensitive subject for me so I would not like to talk about in any further than that...) My horse loves both and is very bold and brave. She has done events and small jumper shows and enjoys both.
I would still do cross country schoolings here and there because my horse loves it so much (I enjoy it too) but I would want to mainly compete in the jumper circuit.
For those of you who have competed in both, which did you find that you preferred and why?
all input would be very helpful in making my decision! Thanks so much!

MIEventer 05-08-2009 12:54 AM

Well, I've been Eventing since I was 18/19 and am now 33 - so I'll never leave :)

Do what you feel is right and what you enjoy. Don't let anyone around you control your life. Don't let them make you decide what you want and don't want to do.

If you want to event, then event.

This is about you and your horse - no one else.

Pinto Pony 05-08-2009 04:16 AM

I love jumpers :D I find it less stressful haha. XC courses are scary and dressage is not really my ponys' forte so jumpers for me :) Also where I am I find the people in the jumper rings to be so friendly, helpful and supportive. Moreso than dressage and eventing. But that may just be my area :)

Ahsisi 05-08-2009 02:48 PM

I have never done eventing, only hunter/jumper, but the jumpers are a blast. Especially in the midwest =) Good luck on your decision!

StormyBlues 05-08-2009 08:39 PM

I love eventing, but do what YOU love, and have fun doing whatever!

PoptartShop 05-08-2009 11:46 PM

I've only done a little of eventing (however I'm gonna start doing more this year), but I do mostly jumping. ;) I like jumping better...although, eventing is pretty fun. I like the feeling of being 'open', rather than in a ring. It gives the horse more 'outside' experience, too. They sure act different in the showring full of jumps than in an open field! :P

MIEventer 05-09-2009 12:10 AM

Well - let me get more particular for you eventerdrew

1) Stadium Jumping is nothing compareable to CC
2) CC is nothing compareable to Stadium Jumping.

What I mean by that is - you can NOT jump a CC fence the same way you would a stadium fence. You can't approach a CC fence the way you would a stadium -

These are two completely different venues, two different styles of riding, two different worlds.

The terrain is much different, as we obviously know. And the fences are as well - which doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out - lol.

So, what do you prefer to ride?

Me - point me at a 3'0" CC fence and I'll do it without a blink of an eye. Point me at a stadium - competely different reaction out of me.

For me - CC fences are welcoming, inviting, natural, homey. Stadium - open, spacoius, not inviting, intimidating - bleh. I do it because I have to, but I don't enjoy it.

When I do flat work - I would far wrather do it out on the CC course, out on that well groomed ground, between the fences - I just feel at home out there. I am happy as a clam just being out on that cc course.

When I was a working student at the Eventing/Fox Hunting Barn - I would walk out into the middle of the CC course, sit on a fence and eat, while looking at every single fence in detail.

There have been days where I would get on my horse, ride out into the middle of the CC course, and just stood there looking at the fences with this huge grin on my face.

There is no better feeling in the world.

When I look at my horse, I get this over exuberant feeling of pride. He is one athletic, all round horse who is unstoppable when he does his job. He is my wings.

When I close my eyes, all I can see is Nelson and I Hand Galloping between each fence out on a CC course.

Let me ask you - what are these 2 sports to you?

StormyBlues 05-09-2009 10:05 AM

yea, MIEventer has a point. You hae to approch a Show jumping jump at a fast, but bouncy canter, on the CC you can go alot faster, and not as a bouncy of a canter.

MIEventer 05-09-2009 10:53 AM

I am not understanding what you are talking about Stormy. Please elaborate.

?????

StormyBlues 05-09-2009 01:40 PM

In Stadium and Sho jumping alike, your canter has to be bouncy and more rocked back on the haunches, so your horse has alot of bounce to get over the rails to clear the jumps without knocking a pole. In Show jumping you would try to go faster than eventers would in stadium.
Out on the CC you are going alot faster than either stadium or show jumping, and you arn't woried about keeping a nice bouncy canter, just getting over the jumps and going fast