The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Please critique my new pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-critique-my-new-pictures-27426/)

rider4life422 05-07-2009 09:51 PM

Please critique my new pictures

6 Attachment(s)
So I finally got someone to come and take pics of my last two lessons, granted they aren't the best timing or angle but they are something lol. A little background: I learned on this horse when I first started riding four years ago. About a year and a half ago I had a nasty accident and broke both bones in my left ankle. All that time and two surgeries later I have finally been able to start riding again for the past two months. Craig, the horse I learned on and riding agian, has not been jumped since I last rode him about 3 years ago. He has done mostly dressage and the last two years just trails. So we have both been getting back into shape. You can critique whatever you want, just be gentle as we have only been jumping for about 4 weeks and back in work for 8. I have been working really hard on getting him muscled up, we improve greatly each lesson and he is able to give us a little bit more. The first picture is from feburary. 2-6 are from last week, I know I was closing my hip angle a little too much and the last one is not a good one but I included it more to show the length of my stirrup. I will upload the ones from this week in another post.

Sorry for the long intro. I know I tend to get ahead a little, really trying to work on it. I also let me reins get long and somehow have gotten into a chicken wing habit over jumps. Those I think are my biggest faults. Also, the first set of pictures are from last week I felt after looking at the photos my stirrups were a little long, the new pics from this week I shortened them a hole. Please let me know which you think is better. Thanks for reading my rambling!!

rider4life422 05-07-2009 09:58 PM

Yesterday

4 Attachment(s)
Here are the ones from yesterday. Also I know my toes are kind of turned out but I found that sinch my surgeries with all the hardware in my leg its really hard for me to turn them in.

Jillyann 05-08-2009 07:23 PM

i think yours and your horses position is pretty good from not being worked with in such a long time. the only thing i would change maybe is moving your saddle up on his withers a little more. with english you ride more on there shoulders, and with western its more on there back.

other then that, and the few little things that you know you need to work on, like the chicken wing arms, and what not... you two look like a great team!

Chuckface 05-08-2009 09:05 PM

I think you two look great together. Hes a very pretty horse.

rider4life422 05-10-2009 10:01 PM

Thank you! Anyone else? Please ... What about my leg/ stirrup lengths?

anrz 05-11-2009 07:15 PM

It looks like your stirrup length over the fences is a little long for jumping. I would shorten them a hole. That would keep your lower leg from swinging back and would help you secure your leg position. Over fences of that height, you seem like you are not with the horse's motion. It seems like sometimes you tend to do what someone said to me about my position- ride the horse, not the jump. Let the horse's motion lift you out of the saddle and into the correct position- your hip angle will close as the horse's motion pulls you out of the saddle.