The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   DOESNT LIKE GOING LEFT!!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/doesnt-like-going-left-2743/)

CameoStone5 07-29-2007 12:23 AM

DOESNT LIKE GOING LEFT!!!!!

My 13 year old QH mare just doesnt like going left that much on the lunge rope. is there something i can do?

thanks!!! :)

meggymoo 07-29-2007 04:14 AM

Hi and welcome to the Horseforum. :D

Have you had her checked out? Could be pain related, could be a balancing problem or a weakness on her left side. Would be worthwhile to have her checked out for pain or discomfort, just in case. :wink:

giget 07-29-2007 08:13 AM

yes u should check for pain, also all horses have there favourite side she could just be being stubborn. if she checks out ok on that side you may just hae to be more strict with her

horse_luver4e 07-29-2007 08:44 PM

If she doesn't like going left and theres nothing physical, then lounge her on the left side ALOT horses think with both sides of there brains seperatly. And one side maybe okay to handle and the other might not. For example: A horse maybe afraid of whips so the trainer worked with her and rubbed her with the whip on the right side. And she was fine but when he went on the left side, she freeked. You have to work with BOTH sides.

Eventer Gal 07-29-2007 09:34 PM

I agree with horse_luver4e, horses are split brained. For example if your horse shys at something on the right hand side you should turn him/her/it around and give it a look with the left eye, if that makes sense....... Lunging is the same thing, horses are prone to like one side than the other. :lol:

horse_luver4e 07-30-2007 10:43 AM

Exactly, Maybe (if you haven't owned her her whole life) her previous owner might have only worked on lounging her on the right side and didn't change directions alot. And she was only worked with on the right side.

Eventer Gal 07-30-2007 08:42 PM

:D We finally agree on something :lol: