The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Health (/horse-health/)
-   -   PPE results.....HELP please (

mvinotime 09-10-2013 11:33 PM

PPE results.....HELP please
Hi. I have a couple questions. I am in the process of purchasing a new horse, a 13 yr old QH gelding. I am buying him from out of state so am having his Health cert/Coggins etc done this week so I had the local vet there also do a PPE. She just called me with the results. The horse seemed to move fine under saddle when I rode him, no issues at all. During the PPE (all results totally normal for all other areas) she reported him to be Grade 1 lame in left front. HOWEVER she said she did not feel this was a concern due to him being previusly allowed to grow long with shoes and they were recently pulled and the lady trimmed them somewhat (she is selling for her ex who left and wasnt keeping up on their care). Vet indicated that the soles were very flat and he was very ouchy on rocks. She said she felt if he had toe brought back and put him more up and got sole more concave he would be fine. He was negative for any issues as far as palpatation, flexion and hoof testers were concerned in all four legs/feet. My question is this.....would you be concerned? Would you not purchase based on this? She felt he was fine and didnt recommend any further tests such as xray etc. I'm just so worried about not buying a sound horse as I already have that issue. Any input? Thanks so much!

Skyseternalangel 09-10-2013 11:37 PM

730 Attachment(s)
Any horse at any time can go lame. It can be something as minor as a hoof bruise which is fixed with different stable management, supplements, etc.

But buying a horse that *may* be better if you do x,y,z... that is a risk you are taking. Without taking further x-rays, you can't know the entire problem.

If you want this horse but are unsure, I'd seek a second opinion.

xlionesss 09-10-2013 11:41 PM

Yup. I agree with sky. It is a risk you must decide if you want to take.I listened to a vet that I had no experience with(bought my first horse from another city further away) and vet said horse should be fine even after failing flexion for light riding WTC. Turns out horse was not fine.

You need to weigh the risks and decide if you want to continue with the sale.
Posted via Mobile Device

natisha 09-11-2013 10:32 AM

I guess if I really liked the horse I would hold off on the purchase & strongly encourage the owner to have his feet properly done, then reassess in a few weeks. A recheck by the vet would be less costly than the original PPE.
If the owner is not willing to do that then I'd pass.

PaintHorseMares 09-11-2013 10:42 AM

What are your plans for the horse? Trail, arena, barefoot, shod, rocky ground, etc...
Posted via Mobile Device

tlkng1 09-11-2013 10:53 AM

I was on site for my new boy's PPE and had a similar issue. The horse had only been barefoot in front for about 3 weeks..owner had pulled shoes to avoid him possibly losing them while she was out of town at shows; he had been barefoot behind for nearly 2 years. His feet were short and chipped up in front when I first saw him. At the time of the PPE, he tested positive to hoof testers in both front but it was along the outside wall. On the trot out, on hard ground as it turned out, he was ouchy in the front left. Flexes were clean and x-rays were also clean. Vet said the same thing (and my vet concurred when I sent the report and radiographs) that the feet were just tender. The horse had glue on shoes placed in front and regular shoes behind about two weeks ago and he is fine. The feet are already growing out.

Have radiographs is the only way to tell if the ouchiness is internal structure (navicular or some other issue) or if it is hoof condition.

BlueSpark 09-11-2013 10:53 AM

Natisha is spot on. Call the seller, explain your concerns and tell her you would like to recheck in say two weeks, and see what they say, or just ask for a 30 day trial, and right to return him for full refund if he doesnt come sound.

That said, many newly trimmed horses(or even just flat soled horses) will be ouchy on rocks. I dont know that lameness on rocks is a good indicator of a problem, especially on a horse the vet beleives is improperly trimmed.
I once went to sell an amazing mare that had flat feet. I had done 25 mile competitions on her and she was always sound. The vet doing the PPE asked her to be trotted out on gravel strewn pavement, and then declared her lame on three legs.

Viranh 09-11-2013 12:17 PM

Barefoot trotting on gravel is a bit of an unfair test, particularly if the horse usually has shoes. My good riding mare would fail without boots. The transition out of shoes can be quite painful for some horses. I tentatively agree with the vet. If you really liked him, have a farrier out to look and maybe x-ray the left front. A couple of x-rays on that leg would be cheaper than long term care for a lame horse. Either that, or take him on trial.

verona1016 09-11-2013 03:47 PM

Since the horse is coming out of state, I'd probably do x-rays of that hoof just to be thorough. I'd also ask for *good* photos of all 4 hooves (like the kind you'd take for a hoof critique on the Hoof Care forum) and have your farrier give you his opinion.

mvinotime 09-11-2013 08:11 PM

Excellent suggestions!! Thank you all. I have contacted the seller and have a call in to the vet concerning xrays. I dont believe a trial would work for her as I am taking the horse out of state but I am asking to extend the contract pick up date of the horse in order to further evaluate the feet/soundness issue. I am awaiting her reply. I really like the photos of feet idea for my farrier as well. Thanks again!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome