The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Thinline Half Pads (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/thinline-half-pads-27444/)

MIEventer 05-08-2009 10:17 AM

Thinline Half Pads

Ok, I really want to get one of these -

I hear that they dispurse the pressure points from our saddles and even out the weight, while protecting as well.

But I would like the 1/2 pad with the sheepskin on it.

There was one on ebay for $114.00 and I am kicking myself for not bidding on it - because I cannot find one any cheaper.

These things are around $200 or more retail - where in the world can I find out that isn't at that price range?

Anyone know?

IrishRider 05-08-2009 10:30 AM

Keep looking on eBay because those things appear fairly frequently. I believe Dreamhorse has a tack for sale section that you can click on so you might be able to find one there as well. I have heard great things about those half pads. If I ever have to replace my half pad I'll probably get one. I'm also a big fan of Fleeceworks but they are just as expensive.

luvs2ride1979 05-08-2009 11:30 AM

The thinline with the sheepskin is a real PAIN to wash. The ThinLine holds water under it, making it take a LONG time to dry, and often time causes mold to grow. You're better off buying a regular sheepskin pad and a thinline separate. I have seen those kinds of packages on eBay for around $100, new. Here's one, but it's a full sized AP pad: BLACK Ultra ThinLine half Pad w/Sheepskin AP pad - eBay (item 250414412052 end time May-26-09 22:06:21 PDT)
You might ask them if they can order a set for you for about the same price or less.

MIEventer 05-08-2009 02:28 PM

How would the thinline hold water under it when I would use it under my saddle and over a regular saddle pad?

I have to go wide with my saddle right now - and I would hate to have to buy two seperate pads just to fill in extra horse to accomodate the saddle.

Hmmm, ok - I guess I'll have to find a regular 1/2 pad and a thinline. That'll really hurt the pocket book though.

luvs2ride1979 05-08-2009 03:47 PM

When you WASH the pad the ThinLine holds water under it, making it take a LONG time to dry, and often time causes mold to grow.

Using a pad under it negates the benefit of the sheepskin. You might as well just get the Half Pad or Trifecta and save your money.

MIEventer 05-08-2009 03:53 PM

Oooooooh - that makes allot of sense. I never thought of that.

Thank you for the help luvs2ride - I appreciate it.

The Trifecta, that looks like a neat pad!

The only reason I say 1/2 pad with the sheepskin - or whatever - just so I can add that xtra horse under my saddle.

Lots to think about here!

upnover 05-08-2009 08:11 PM

I keep hearing good things about these pads. Let me know what you think when you get one!

MyBoyPuck 05-10-2009 05:10 PM

You can drop a golf ball on those pads from 5' up and it won't bounce! Those pads are fantastic for shock absorption. I have the contour pad for $88. I use it on top of my regular sheepskin pad. I highly recommend them.

MIEventer 05-10-2009 06:58 PM

The Contour Pad eh??

Well, I am going to have to really tighten my pennies after the vet bill with Nelson choking - but I will look into the contour pad.

Thanks MyBoyPuck!