The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   So, I think my life has hit a cross road... (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/so-i-think-my-life-has-274665/)

SlideStop 09-11-2013 11:59 AM

So, I think my life has hit a cross road...

I have about 15 months (3 semesters) until I graduate nursing school. I was discussing it with my grandfather on Sunday and he said said he knows someone "high up" at a semi-local hospital (about a 45 min drive) who could possibly get me a job there. This hospital is excellent, its in a conglomerate of local hospital, a teaching hospital and I've done a bunch of clinical work there and it's always been excellent. The staff is mostly friendly and it very clean. The job market for nurses is competitive, so I thought getting my foot in the door would be a good career move because I'd have a higher chance of getting hired internally. I might be even to land a job on a floor/unit I like if I can make connections prior to. This would be a "no going back now" commitment.

Now this would be all well and good if I didn't already have two jobs, what can I say... I'm a workaholic. I'll do anything for a dollar.

Job 1: I teach therapeutic horseback riding. I like the job, but I do feel like I'm getting burnt out. Come next fall I'd have to resign anyway because I'd have to work my preceptors schedule, not conducive to working with appointment.

Job 2: I would for a plastic surgeon and a dermatologist. The biggest thing about the job is the hours are usually super flexible. If I can't make it because of school or whatever its not a big deal. I can work 1 day a week when in school (if i wanted) or 4 days, they really don't care. They also let me work the rooms with the doctors now so its turning into a learning experience. There has also been talk about moving me into the OR as a "go for" and to help the nurses with tasks they are able to pawn off.

Should I stick to what I know while I'm going through school? Do I change jobs in order to help my future?

decisions, decisions...

bitinsane 09-11-2013 12:04 PM

I would change my job in order to help my future. Get in there and get known so when you get your nursing license you will be first pick for nursing positions rather then outsiders who are trying to get in!

tinyliny 09-11-2013 12:15 PM

If you are young, it's always best to look for things that will benefit you in the long run. If you are older, or must support children, then stability is the more important factor. Which are you?

SlideStop 09-11-2013 12:58 PM

I'm young, no kids... and there wont be for a very long time. :wink: I guess I technically live at home, but more realistically I live half the time at my girlfriends and half the time at home. I pay all my own bills, including school, my car insurance, phone, credit cards, food, etc. Besides putting a roof over my head and electricity in the house my mom doesn't support me any other way, and don't get me wrong I'm definitely grateful for that. Money is always on my mind. I do make enough now, but I'd probably be making a little more at the hospital (pay for nurses' aides are about $17-$22 and hour, depending on qualifications/experience). But it also comes as a sacrifice, no flexible hours, giving up other jobs I like, lots of dirty work, starting something new smack dab in the middle of school, etc. There are also benefits, like getting comfortable in my future career surroundings, being able to watch nurses work, watching/helping with procedures, etc.

bitinsane 09-11-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 3607321)
I'm young, no kids... and there wont be for a very long time. :wink: I guess I technically live at home, but more realistically I live half the time at my girlfriends and half the time at home. I pay all my own bills, including school, my car insurance, phone, credit cards, food, etc. Besides putting a roof over my head and electricity in the house my mom doesn't support me any other way, and don't get me wrong I'm definitely grateful for that. Money is always on my mind. I do make enough now, but I'd probably be making a little more at the hospital (pay for nurses' aides are about $17-$22 and hour, depending on qualifications/experience). But it also comes as a sacrifice, no flexible hours, giving up other jobs I like, lots of dirty work, starting something new smack dab in the middle of school, etc. There are also benefits, like getting comfortable in my future career surroundings, being able to watch nurses work, watching/helping with procedures, etc.

You are so close to your future career so what's the harm in getting comfortable with it and getting hands on exp. now? you want to be a nurse, nurses work crazy hours and you will have to let go of those other jobs eventually.

Darrin 09-11-2013 01:54 PM

Getting your foot in the door at that hospital is the better career move. If that's not enough to convince you consider this. A lot of your future job prospects will come from recommendations by people you know and work with. So the more you network and show a willingness to work the more opportunities you'll have in the future. You'll find that in most fields that they are actually quite small when looking at the overall number of people doing it. What's that mean? Everybody either knows everyone or knows someone who does knows them.

Just an FYI, the downside to this is and why it's important to maintain your reputation. Those that screw up a lot or like to burn bridges get known rather quickly which also impacts future job prospects.

SlideStop 09-11-2013 02:01 PM

I guess my biggest worry is that they won't be flexible with school. My jobs know that school comes first. They are able to work around me. That is my primary concern, getting through school.

I'm most definitely leaning toward going to the hospital. I know I have to bite the bullet eventually, I'm just nervous whether this is the appropriate time or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 09-11-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 3607321)

You sound like a powerhouse. you'll do well!

bitinsane 09-11-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 3608153)
I guess my biggest worry is that they won't be flexible with school. My jobs know that school comes first. They are able to work around me. That is my primary concern, getting through school.

I'm most definitely leaning toward going to the hospital. I know I have to bite the bullet eventually, I'm just nervous whether this is the appropriate time or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well those are things you ask during interview. It's not like you will be in school forever, in fact you are almost finished. See if that's something they are willing to work with for your last 3 semesters =)

pbeebs 09-12-2013 10:11 PM

You have a lot of good advice already, which I agree with. I just wanted to say CONGRATS on being so close to being finished with nursing school! That is no small feat. I started nursing school this semester, loved it. But circumstances arose that unfortunately made it impossible for me to continue this year. I may reapply next year. I'm kind of up in the air. Anyway, I know it's not easy..and especially having two jobs like that, dang! You're almost there, good job!