The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Potential Buy/ Ex Racer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/potential-buy-ex-racer-274825/)

IquitosARG10 09-11-2013 04:38 PM

Potential Buy/ Ex Racer

There is something about this guy that I just really like! He has interesting breeding too, which I like.

I was wondering what you all think about his confirmation as far as being successful in the dressage ring. I don't plan on showing to the highest levels, but I would like to get up to at least schooling 3rd level - and surpass if we possess the ability.

I'm not very good at picking out a strong hip or shoulder angle. The only thing undesirable I can pick out is maybe a steep croup? Which I read can affect the movement of his hocks and ultimate ability to effectively work off his hind end.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts!

Zulu Warrior - well bred dark bay gelding

jaydee 09-11-2013 06:16 PM

Hard to tell from either video but he seems a bit stiff in his back end movement. The steepness of his croup will affect how well he can use himself from behind to create the impulsion needed for dressage but how seriously do you want to compete - what sort of level?
His racing breeding really has no impact on his ability to be a dressage horse unless any of his siblings went on the perform well in that sport

IquitosARG10 09-11-2013 06:27 PM

Oh I know, it's just fun that he has such impressive breeding!!

I would like to be competitive enough to be able to have fun at shows and have a decent chance to win - but I don't plan on anything more than local, rated shows. Also - I don't plan on showing every weekend - just a few in the summer.

What I really want is a good horse to learn on and that I can bring along to his full potential. Maybe schooling 3rd level?

Thanks for you feedback - not sure if all of that made any sense :p

jaydee 09-11-2013 06:32 PM

If you want to put any amount of time, effort and of course cash into training a horse for a specific thing then its probably best to look for one that starts out with everything on its side - I'm not sure this horse has that going for him

Elana 09-12-2013 08:35 AM

Stiff behind at the trot. Maybe a back issue. Maybe just hurts to trot on a hard surface.

I like him too.. but he would need a total PPE to find out how much it will cost to get him sound.

greentree 09-12-2013 08:47 AM

Agree! may just be the hard surface, but he has a gorgeous front end, and seems so NOBLE!!!

Nancy

IquitosARG10 09-12-2013 09:07 AM

Thanks for you inputs - I really like him too.

I definitely will get a PPE. This would be my first "purchase" of a horse (my other was adopted). Do I just contact a local vet around the horse to come out and do an exam?

jaydee 09-12-2013 09:49 AM

If I was you I'd go back and look at him again, see if you can get them to show you how he goes under saddle and ride him yourself before you commit to paying for a PPE
If you can do that then use your own vet or a local one to you that someone you know recommends as being knowledgeable about horses - I don't know about the US but in the UK we have mixed animal practices and they aren't always great horse vets

IquitosARG10 09-12-2013 10:00 AM

Well, I haven't gone and looked yet - it's over a 4 hour drive, so I wanted to post on here for some initial thoughts first.

Thanks for your help!

Tryst 09-12-2013 10:09 AM

As this is a Canter horse you will not be able to ride it. They are strict about that.