The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Diarrhea has been going on forever! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/diarrhea-has-been-going-forever-274921/)

MAG1723 09-11-2013 07:57 PM

Diarrhea has been going on forever!

So some of you know I have been having annoying lameness issues with my mare, Ally. But another problem that has been happening for about 1 month is her diarrhea. We went away for 2 weeks in August and she was put in a different field, but her fellow horses went with her (so she wasn't by herself) So her diet was changed there. But it has been about 3 weeks since then and she still has it. I dewormed her 5 days ago hoping that will help. But what do you think it could be? She is a bit stressed since her stable mate left on Monday, but she had it before then too. It is starting to get a bit annoying. Can anyone help?

Thanks so much!:lol::lol:

farmpony84 09-11-2013 08:01 PM

It could be a lot of things. Is she an older horse?

Things to consider would be ulcers, bacterial, change in feed, kidney issues, ect....

MAG1723 09-11-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 3611145)
It could be a lot of things. Is she an older horse?

Things to consider would be ulcers, bacterial, change in feed, kidney issues, ect....

Yes she is an older horse. She turned 19 in June

2SCHorses 09-11-2013 10:17 PM

Have you had a fecal done? Just to rule out parasites and bacteria. Sometimes a wormer doesn't target the right kind of parasites. At least if you have a fecal done, it is a relatively inexpensive way to either A) find out you need a different wormer or B) rule out a few of the possibilities.

Are you giving her electrolytes? That will at least help her stay hydrated since long term diarrhea can affect hydration.

MAG1723 09-11-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SCHorses (Post 3612145)
Have you had a fecal done? Just to rule out parasites and bacteria. Sometimes a wormer doesn't target the right kind of parasites. At least if you have a fecal done, it is a relatively inexpensive way to either A) find out you need a different wormer or B) rule out a few of the possibilities.

Are you giving her electrolytes? That will at least help her stay hydrated since long term diarrhea can affect hydration.

I don't give her electrolytes. I have never given any of my horses that. What does it mean to get a fecal done? Sorry I'm new at this :oops:

2SCHorses 09-11-2013 11:31 PM

A fecal is a test the vet does to look for parasites and other baddies at your request. You just need a fresh poop in a baggie and bring it to them for testing (call first, though, LOL!).

Electrolytes will help your horse with all the diarrhea. Nothing fancy is necessary. You can even make them at home much more cheap:

26 ounces of NON-iodized salt
22 ounces of Lite Salt (potassium)
2 Tablespoons of Epsom Salt

Give no more than 1 tablespoon a day. If you soak food, it is easy to mix the powder in the water, then add the feed, and then feed it (once a day) until her diarrhea is resolved. Otherwise you can just moisten the food and sprinkle it on, but I would do 1/2 a dose 2x a day because she might think the food is too salty - or she might like it.

ColoCowboy 09-11-2013 11:44 PM

diarrhea leads to dehydration a normal horse should drink 8 - 10 gals of water a day and poop every 2 hours. check her temp a digital thermometer up the butt until stable. should be about 100 degrees Fahrenheit; 106 is very serious. Keep track of her water intake. And maybe just roughage as in hay. Good Luck!

pbeebs 09-11-2013 11:47 PM

My old gelding has had this same problem at times. I did have the vet out, and he said it was most likely stress from being at a new barn at the time, and maybe the new food. Nothing really helped, it came back a few months later. I gave him some probiotic powder and it fixed it in a couple days. Since it has been ongoing, definately try and electrolyte as well...mine liked thirst quencher. Always best to rule out anything else that a fecal test will tell first though :) I KNOW how frustrating it is... Cleaning their butts and legs everyday from that diarrhea and not knowing the cause...you'll get them fixed up soon I'm sure!

pbeebs 09-11-2013 11:50 PM

Just incase you are interested...

This is the probios I used:
http://www.wag.com/dog/p/probios-dispersible-powder-240-g-104238?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_W& utm_term=ZYE-007&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1323890087&utm _content=pla&ca_sku=ZYE-007&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword}

and Horse quencher...not thirst, like I said in my other post:
Horse Quencher Equatic Solutions (Supplements - Electrolytes)

loosie 09-12-2013 03:48 AM

As others have said, could be a range of things, but could well be related to the lameness, if laminitic. First common thing that comes to my mind is hind gut acidosis from rich grass. First treatment I'd consider, without further info, is providing extra Mg in the diet.