The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Livejournal community member says I shouldn't go to college to study Equine Science (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/livejournal-community-member-says-i-shouldnt-27506/)

Lymie 05-09-2009 02:29 PM

Livejournal community member says I shouldn't go to college to study Equine Science

This is my post, and I'm sorry if you think I'm whining and crying, but my feelings are genuinly hurt and for good reason. I'm not one to argue and make a fool of myself over the internet, but this was a dagger in my heart. I know people say not to take the internet seriously, that it's not real life, but I'm sensitive and I'm not going to pretend to be tough and suck it up.

Before I re-post, I just want to say (and I've said this recently to a member of another forum I frequent) that the horse industry has always seem liked an elite group of privilaged people. I don't mean privilaged as in you have money or that you're a snob, I mean privilaged as in you've had something that I've always wanted and couldn't be apart of. Until I turned 18 I didn't have resources or contact with the horse world. It's always seemed to me like I wasn't good enough to be apart of it and that I never would. But I have an opportunity, an opening, and however futile it may seem I'm taking it.

Posting questions like I did (About supplys I needed, that I didn't understand where to get or how much to spend because I've never used them.) and recieving belittling answers has caused me to reconsider whether I want to be apart of such a negative atmosphere. I don't mean to lump everyone together, because I've met so many wonderful and responsible horse owners, but that's my reaction. I've seen so much negative energy in the online horse world that I hesitate to bring that into my life. I've always found horses to bring me happiness and pleasure, whether in the flesh or daydreaming. Which I will admit to, call me corny. To have someone see me as a threat HURTS.

This is my post. Opinions, advice, suggestions would all be appreciated. If you do not feel I deserve respect, that's fine. I'm always open to a good kick in the ass, but somehow I don't feel this is one of those circumstances where I need it...and I always listen better when it's done for my own good, not to boost an ego.

--------------------------------------

So the other day I posted to a livejournal community asking about equipment I would need for school. Since I've only ever done backyard riding with friends and while working at an equestrian camp last summer I never needed breeches, expensive riding boots or any tack. When I was younger I was always interested in equine but I didn't think there was that much information out there. I read books and watched whatever I could find on t.v. (Such as Modern Marvels) but I wasn't directly involved so it sat in the back of my mind for years.

Last February I was planning on going to school to study welding, but came across Equine Science in my search. I was shocked and thrilled that there was a degree and come to find out, so much information on the internet. I was more preoccupied with the abuse my mother was putting me through then finding out about horses, and apparently that's my fault.
So this post was about the tack and clothing I needed. I didn't know where to find it or how much to spend. So what I got was "This community cares deeply about horses and the horse business and we don't want or need a naif who flippantly claims she doesn't "need" to know about the equipment while also claiming you've thought about this and, presumably, researched it for "the past year and a half".

To make things clear, I did a lot fo research on conformation, riding and horse care then equipment. I can tie a knot, groom and saddle a horse without assistance. Just like I can lead, back, and ride at a very basic level. I've also been reading up a lot on slaughter and abuse. As for the need to know comment, I didn't need to know at that point in time, nor did It cross my mind. Nor was in that context.

"any douchebag can get into marketing, history, or art without any background. Go wild with that -- your success or failure is your own. But horses are helpless, domesticated animals that happen to capture the fascination of almost every little girl at some point. Everyone has "always loved horses" but very few people can actually take care of them (physically, financially, and mentally). In order to be successful in this field, you have to be and do all of those things -- AND, you have to convince other horse people, like us, that you're thoughtful and conscientious."

I find it irritating that someone would assume I would put anyone, whether it be animal or a humans, life in danger. The whole point of my going to college is to gain knowledge on the subject before diving in and getting myself into a mess. I've seen so many people buy a horse because it's so cute and cuddly and end up with a terror on their hands, or a dead horse. To be ignorant and dive in, that would make me wrong. To seek knowledge in a secure environment, I think that makes me a lot more mature then most.

As for being financially secure, I've made it a point to wait to purchase a horse until I can afford everything the animal will need, including emergency vet bills which could be astronomical. I know that I should have a back up boarding stable that can take the horse encase the animal should be moved on short notice, and I wont purchase until I have a trailer of my own. As for how long that takes, it could be a decade, two, three, but that's how it is. I'm a 19 year old, not a 30-40 year old with some stability.

And the convincing bit, I have NO ONE to answer to unless I'm doing something wrong that hurts the animal or myself. I've always made it a point to listen to other peoples opinions and consider them, but at the end of the day it's not whether I've earned your respect or not that's going to help me sleep. It's comfort knowing that I did my best and will continue to do my best for myself, my family/friends and whatever animal I choose to take into my life, that will give me ease.

I am extremely insulted that someone would belittle a newcomer who, instead of turning a blind eye and making mistakes, asked a question. That makes me feel like I shouldn't request help in the future and that I'm not welcome to pursue my goal to become a large animal veterinarian. It does make me happy that someone cares enough about the welfare of their animals to fiercely protect them from people who may cause them harm, but I think it was poorly directed.
So am I right or wrong? Should I go to school in the fall? I probably will, and if I fail then it wasn't meant to be, oh well. That's life, we live and we learn. I just don't think the internet should be so cruel and so quick to label someone as a "naif" or a "douchbag"

Lymie 05-09-2009 02:41 PM

This is the most recent reply I've gotten:
the reason you're getting the "redicules" feedback is because your idea sceams bad idea. although yes, good for you for trying to seek an education before just buying a horse, you are the type of girl that would not survive an equine program, never mind the realities of the equine industry. 2 bit hack trainers come a dime a dozen and nobody is going to see your associates in "Horse Science" and think wow, I think I'm going to send my horse to them. A successful training/show record along with that degree might help you. but what I'm trying to say is that in your situation, you're throwing your money away. you're way better off getting your associates in business and taking some lessons.
I tell anyone considering an equine degree that if they couldn't pass a basic horse care class (which means wrap polos and standing wraps (flannel and track as well), pull and clip appropriately, clean a sheath, execute at least 2 restraints and know of ONE sedative, you shouldn't be in the program. Obviously there are many many other factors but those are the bare, bare, bare minimum. Seriously, for your future and the future of horses, reconsidered this dream of yours.

It bothers me that some one who has never met me labels me as "not the type of girl who would survive an equine program,"

Whipple 05-09-2009 02:44 PM

I think you should go to school and do as you like. Not everyone has the privilage of being born into horses, or getting lessons from a young age. I am one. I am finally getting lessons at 21 and am diving right into it all. I also hope to get an equine science diploma. The place I really want to go to though says I need to be a good rider. So I might just have to wait on that too. But it's one of my dreams and goals so I will work towards it.

Don't take what these people say to heart. They're rude and judgmental. I'm actually not a fan of the latter word, but in this case I think it really does apply.

This is a great forum, so I hope you stay. People here are willing to help a beginner and listen and give good advice. I don't think anyone here would tell you to stay away because you might hurt a horse. In fact, I think it is people who grew up with a certain view of horse training/care are the ones that might hurt them. You need to have an open mind and be willing to see other ways of doing things. Not every horses fit a certain mold, even ones of the same breed. As a beginner, you will likely have a more open mind.

Anyhow, I hope you stick around. Like I said, this is a great forum, and one where you can get the support you need and deserve.

Spastic_Dove 05-09-2009 02:47 PM

Ugh. I typed a big reply, but my internet freaked out.
First off, they are wrong for jumping down your throat like that.
Good for you for trying to learn. Everyone here would love to help you. There is SOME truth, IMO, to what the quote you posted in your second post said though.
If you want to become a vet, Equine Studies is not where you want to be. Go into pre-vet and join the equine clubs on your campus. Take riding lessons and learn the hands on stuff. I was planning on going into that degree, but have realized that it's a degree that doesn't really help you get a job. It gives you a lot of knowledge, but doesn't offer too much. The equine industry is VERY competitive, but that doesnt mean you cant do it.
Don't reconsider the dream you have. All I mean is that if you want to be a vet, go into pre vet and then get into vet school. You can do it fine. I volunteer in a mixed practive veterinary clinic and I'm the only one besides the vet that has any veterinary experience. You can learn as you go and they will teach you.

As far as her little consideration of what is important to know for going into an equine degree...why would you need to know how to pull a mane if you want to ranch? I rarely use polo wraps and havent used standing wraps since I was on the track. For vet tech classes, restraints were the first thing they TAUGHT you so it's not like you can't learn.

The point of my post is that your money will be better spent in a differant but related degree. I think you should keep asking questions and keep learning though. Your wanting to learn puts you ahead of many people working with horses that I know.

Spastic_Dove 05-09-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whipple (Post 304228)
The place I really want to go to though says I need to be a good rider.

Oh! Not sure if I mentioned, but it also depends in an equine program what you want to do with the degree. Theres a few people on here that have the degree that train/instruct but I also know a girl with the degree that works for the NJ state agricultural department.

It's all relative.

Whipple 05-09-2009 02:52 PM

Okay, these people are obnoxious. I say leave them, lol, and dont go back.

Go volunteer at a barn and yes get some lessons. But you can learn to wrap and sheath clean (which you might never have to do if you're willing to outsource that job.). MG, you do not need to be a genius. They make it seem difficult. It's not.

To me the most difficult thing about horses is getting over my preconceived ideas that they will hurt me if I piss them off. I have a few horses that I can trust with my life, but overall I am super cautious. Which I don't think is really a bad thing.
BTW, everything that this person mentioned is not hard to learn, so I'm not sure what they're getting at. Tell them to shove it. And go to the school you want. You aren't going to learn much in business school if you dont enjoy it. If you'd rather be somewhere else. So I say go for it.

Oh, also. I have a friend who has been in horses for 10 yrs. She is a barn manager, and does everything for the horses. She is not a great rider, and you know what, she doesnt need to be. Her job is working for the horses. She takes care of them and such. Did I mention she's only been at it for 10 yrs? She's in her late 30's/early 40's. So she started at about your age or later and she's doing what she wants. So you can too.

close2prfct 05-09-2009 02:55 PM

I can see why you were offended and rightfully so, people jump to conclusions without knowing you or anything really about you. Don't let it get you down if it is what you want to do go for it.
When I decided I wanted to go into law enforcement EVERYONE thought I was insane, stupid, couldn't do it or said every other negative thing you can imagine...well I took it as a challenge and I did it. I spent the better part of 20 yrs doing something that no one believed I could do.
The meaning of going to school for anything is to LEARN about whatever it is you are going to school for. Brain surgeons didn't know how to operate on a brain without years of college..they don't let every day people off the street with no experience do it so why should learning how to do something or be something with equines be any different? it shouldn't!!
Just because you don't have a lot of experience is no reason to not do something, you learn as you go you make mistakes you learn from them and going to school you are going to learn a lot more than half the people on the net who claim to be experts( or in their mind they are)
I know your feelings were hurt and I am sorry but please don't let it discourage you because the only thing that matters is you do what you want to heck with everyone else and their opinions..
As far as people on the internet? yeah they hide behind their monitors and assault people because they can get by with it, in real life they would get their butts kicked!

Whipple 05-09-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 304230)
Oh! Not sure if I mentioned, but it also depends in an equine program what you want to do with the degree. Theres a few people on here that have the degree that train/instruct but I also know a girl with the degree that works for the NJ state agricultural department.

It's all relative.

Oh, theres a few places I'm considering, but this is the place I really want to go to. Plus it's in the province I want to live in. Well in a few years anyhow. There is also an online course I can take.

I skimmed the first post, I am sorry. Is it a vet you would like to be? If so then I agree with SD, get into pre-vet. I want to have my own boarding stable one day. Also a boarding/training kennel. I have a few dreams. :wink:

Spastic_Dove 05-09-2009 03:00 PM

BTW I am still going for a career with horses. I plan on getting my masters (and one day PhD) in Psychology and eventually working with equine assisted psychotherapy.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
I have been riding my whole life and I still don't know anything. It is important to ALWAYS keep learning which is why I really like this forum.

Lymie 05-09-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 304229)
Ugh. I typed a big reply, but my internet freaked out.
First off, they are wrong for jumping down your throat like that.
Good for you for trying to learn. Everyone here would love to help you. There is SOME truth, IMO, to what the quote you posted in your second post said though.
If you want to become a vet, Equine Studies is not where you want to be. Go into pre-vet and join the equine clubs on your campus. Take riding lessons and learn the hands on stuff. I was planning on going into that degree, but have realized that it's a degree that doesn't really help you get a job. It gives you a lot of knowledge, but doesn't offer too much. The equine industry is VERY competitive, but that doesnt mean you cant do it.
Don't reconsider the dream you have. All I mean is that if you want to be a vet, go into pre vet and then get into vet school. You can do it fine. I volunteer in a mixed practive veterinary clinic and I'm the only one besides the vet that has any veterinary experience. You can learn as you go and they will teach you.

As far as her little consideration of what is important to know for going into an equine degree...why would you need to know how to pull a mane if you want to ranch? I rarely use polo wraps and havent used standing wraps since I was on the track. For vet tech classes, restraints were the first thing they TAUGHT you so it's not like you can't learn.

The point of my post is that your money will be better spent in a differant but related degree. I think you should keep asking questions and keep learning though. Your wanting to learn puts you ahead of many people working with horses that I know.

While I agree that equine science is not the best route to becoming a vet, I have to disagree. I'm not sure, for sure, that being a vet is what I want or that it even involve horses. I may go to Iowa State and get into pig farming, you never know. Or maybe I'll start and realise it isn't for me. What I want is the experience and the joy of doing what >I< want for once. And this is what I want, even if it gets me no where. Two years of it, that's all I ask.

And if I'm not mistaken, Iowa State only requires that you have a bachelors before you start the vet. program? Anyways, I was planning on transfering into Animal Science after my first two years.