The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Out of control? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/out-control-2753/)

horse_luver4e 07-29-2007 07:19 PM

Out of control?

I knew this person who had a 2 year old "stud" colt and they bragged about him all the time and how 'uncontrolable' he was. Now he liked to nip becuase he was young of course but he wasn't aggressive. And his bloodlines were not great he has never shown and she kept him a stallion. He had no purpose. He just stood in a stall all day long. He wasn't used for breeding either. She just wanted to brag that she had a stallion. Anyway, Across the street one day, people were plowing a corn feild. And everytime the really loud tractor would come by, he would spook just a little (he was in his stall of course) he would just jump out of the way not tramadicly but was very frightend of this. So she decided to take him out and put him in a round pen for a while.(which was closer to the tractor by the way) And she opened the gate put a stud chain over his nose and jerked it extreamly hard and pulled him out. when he tossed his head from pain, she jerked harder and put him back in the stall saying he was too 'high strung' to go out and tied him up in his stall with the chain still on and when he niped at her (being mouthy like a young horse would) She smaked his face hard with her hand. Now who is out of control?

CameoStone5 07-29-2007 07:23 PM

i think that a stud chain really isnt that horrible. but you must make sure that you arent the one pulling on it. when ur horse pulls her head up, and she gets just a little pressure on the nose. just make sure you arent the one pulling! :)

Horse stud chains should be put on OVER the nose unless showing in western halter classes. For general handling and stud chain effectiveness, a stud chain should cross over the nose, through the ring on the halter on the opposite side, then be crossed under the jaw and clipped to the O ring on the near side of the halter, just below the buckle. This method of attachment maximizes control, ensures the halter isn't pulled askew by the chain, and minimizes the possibility of unintentional misuse. Never attach a stud chain under the jaw of a misbehaving horse. A stud chain attached in this way may encourage a horse to toss their head or rear.

best of luck! :)

horse_luver4e 07-29-2007 08:39 PM

yes i know but its just mean the way she was handling him.

firelight27 07-29-2007 11:53 PM

Oh please not another stud chain thread. Enough is enough, end of debate for goodness sakes.

horse_luver4e 07-30-2007 10:21 AM

No I'm just talking about how mean she was to him I don't think he was out of control. And why in the world would you tie a horse up in it's stall when somthing scary went by. That says disaster all over it.

brittx6x6 07-30-2007 07:01 PM

That does seem a little to much for her to do. I can't really say to much as I was not there but. It is pretty bad to tie a horse up with any kind of chain over their nose.