The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   old wood cook stove save it or not? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/old-wood-cook-stove-save-not-275313/)

Elizabeth Bowers 09-12-2013 03:10 PM

old wood cook stove save it or not?

1 Attachment(s)
So my husband and i were given an old wood cook stove, and i was wondering if i should dig it out and fix it and clean it up and use it, or just for get it and purchase a new one (or find one)?
It has been in the basement of an old burnt down foundation for years, i see that the warming shelf needs repaired and i can't get any of the doors to open. Would it be worth it?

I'v been steady making us self sufficient, only because my electric company is a general nightmare!! And living in the middle of nowhere, it's kind of a good idea. :-P

Your thoughts are appreciated!! :-)

Attachment 279081

Speed Racer 09-12-2013 03:13 PM

Depending on the shape it's in, you could sell it to a place that restores and resells them. You'll need to figure out if it's worth restoring yourself, versus just selling it on to a collector.

farmpony84 09-12-2013 03:28 PM

It actually cood be worth something (potentially). We were given one years ago that we use to heat the house. I don't cook on it....

Speed Racer 09-12-2013 03:42 PM

I have what's called a morning stove, although officially it's a wood stove. It's in a metal casing that has a grill on the top to let the hot air escape. I've been using it to heat my house the last several years. I can also cook on it since it's a flat surface.

Allison Finch 09-12-2013 03:56 PM

There are quite a few people who are building "back to the earth" cabins and constantly looking for these stoves. Depending on their condition, they can fetch some decent prices. Drag it out and clean it up. Take some photos and search it out. You just might be surprised.

ADBeautysBeast 09-12-2013 04:10 PM

If you can repair it for less then it would cost to buy a new one and if the work is worth it to you, why not?
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 09-12-2013 04:26 PM

I would give my front right tooth for one of those!

I couldn't afford to get a refurbished or new one when I was shopping. Just got a plain old regular wood stove instead, but I can cook on the top. I can also use a dutch oven in my other fireplace. We no longer rely on propane, which costs a fortune.

Call up your local chimney sweep/service man. It may only need new seals around the doors. If it's too rusted it won't be useable but people will pay a pretty penny for them and you can go get a standard one. Do you have a stovepipe already?
Some of those need top vent for the best draw. I couldn't have used one where I put mine because rear venting up an old chimney.

jaydee 09-12-2013 04:31 PM

I love it
We had an old Aga in our last house and had one when we were kids, great for power outages.
They aren't wonderful for all round cooking and will make your kitchen a bit too hot in summer weather. They are a bit unpredictable - ours would either take 3 days to heat a saucepan of beans or turn into a blast furnace and incinerate a whole chunk of beef in a few minutes but for looks and a back up to a modern stove - you must keep it!!!

Saddlebag 09-12-2013 06:07 PM

The metal on the doors may be rusted. A little oil may free them up. Usually they just need a good cleaning. These oldies were built to last a lifetime.

Saddlebag 09-12-2013 06:09 PM

Jaydee, an old friend has been cooking on a wood cook stove for years and he wouldn't trade it for anything. I don't know the make. The only Con is the short wood which means more work but he's almost 80 and walks straight as an arrow.