The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   John Lyons Opportunity (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/john-lyons-opportunity-27567/)

Shawneen 05-10-2009 08:09 PM

John Lyons Opportunity

Some of you may know that I am attending the John & Josh Lyons Certification Program next year, 2010. It has recently come to my attention that my GI Bill is not going to help me out. I am going to go to the school regardless, but I have some ideas that some of you might be interested in that would help myself, as well as others.

The basics of the program:
I have to take 2 horses with me throughout the entire course. The course is 4 3-week sessions from May to November, 2010. Once I complete the course I will be a John & Josh Lyons Certified Trainer.

A couple ideas I had are to take someone’s horse to the school with me, in exchange for helping out with some of the tuition. Also, I can offer blocks of time (2 weeks, 30 days, 60 days, etc) at discounted rates now, for anyone who would be interested in getting training after I am certified.
I have talked to a couple Certified Trainers and they said a few things to think about:
  • DO NOT take anyone’s “high dollar” horse to this school. Working horses are better because you are on the horses 8 hours a day and “they get put through hell.”
  • However, throughout the course you are completely training/re-training these horses from the ground up. “A horse that goes through the course with you, given registration and bloodlines, will be dead broke and would easily sell for $15,000 or more.”

I have to take at least one broke horse, the other can be un-broke. As of the first of next month I will be officially enrolled for the 2010 Program. It doesn’t start until May of next year, so that is a year to work something out. I have been planning to go to the program for the last two or three years and I have had to put it off because of deployments and all that wonderful stuff. Like I said, I will be going to the school regardless, but it will be putting a major dent in our pockets being that we are trying to buy new property to go “home” to. If any of you are familiar with John Lyons then you will know that this is a great opportunity for me as well as any horse owner.

If anyone is interested please email me or give me a call and I can tell you more about it. Any agreements that are made will be gladly backed up by a contract. You are also welcome to pass this on to any other horsey people you all may know.

You can read up on the program if you so choose at:
http://lyonslegacy.com/content.php?page=CertificationProgram

Thanks,
Shawneen

Shawneen 05-27-2009 11:47 PM

bumpity bump :)

MIEventer 05-27-2009 11:50 PM

I can't help you out, but what a wonderful opportunity! Best of luck!

Kentucky 05-28-2009 12:17 AM

I can't help you either but it seems like a great opportunity for and what ever horse you take.

Colorado Dobes 05-28-2009 12:22 AM

Where is the seminar you're going to? I might be interested! I LOVE JOHN LYONS! I'm reading his ground control manual now. If this is in Parachute Colorado, let's talk.

Shawneen 05-28-2009 02:34 PM

Thanks guys :) I can't wait to go! I will be bumping this thread from time to time and I will let you all know if an agreement has been made. I know it's a long way off still, but I am just so excited to finially be getting to go!!!!

cowgirl4jesus94 05-28-2009 07:00 PM

That's awesome! I looked into the program and would LOVE to do it someday. But the minimum age is 18, correct?

Shawneen 05-28-2009 09:26 PM

I think 19 actually, but don't quote me on that... I'll look.

Yep here it is:
• Applicants must be no younger than 19 years of age.