The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Clipping Palominos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/clipping-palominos-27589/)

Brochams MIlkyway 05-11-2009 04:53 AM

Clipping Palominos

hey i have a 5yr old first cross qh/tb hes a palomino and ive been think about it for a while but im still undecided this show season i want to clip him BUT....... ive heard it makes there colour go really light and yucky an since hes not really that dark to start of with im wondering if anyone has any tips advice or pics of there own?????
Thanks
Ash & Milkie

StormyBlues 05-12-2009 05:43 PM

I've always seen clipping(if done right) bring the best of a horse's color out. all the horses that my team clipped turned out amazingly! if you are scared clip a small patche on his chest or something to see the color

equineeventer3390 05-12-2009 07:11 PM

My sister has a palomino that she clips in the winter. In the summer he is very golden and after clipping he is almost white. It doesn't look bad to me though.

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/42...600x600Q85.jpg

He looks a little weird in this picture because she didn't do a full clip. But if you do a full clip it should look fine.

bgood400 05-12-2009 08:17 PM

I wouldnt body clip him now. I think if you had decided to do it in Feb. it would have worked out but I think if you do it now you will be cutting your horses summer coat and his coat will look dull all summer.

StormyBlues 05-12-2009 08:33 PM

Good point! Didn't think about that one!:wink:

bgood400 05-13-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 305953)
Good point! Didn't think about that one!:wink:

Thanks. Its something that we have learned not to do through experience. haha. Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way.

weefoal 05-13-2009 06:03 PM

We show clip all of our pintos so we have to be careful we dont lose color. We clip with a number 10 only and clip about 6-7 days before the show. Remember the more you clip the faster the color comes back. By the third clipping the color comes in really fast.

I do have friends that are believers in covering the horse in mayo after clipping and they swear it brings color back quicker but Im not sure as I have never done it.

StormyBlues 05-13-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weefoal (Post 306480)
I do have friends that are believers in covering the horse in mayo after clipping and they swear it brings color back quicker but Im not sure as I have never done it.

Wait, as in mayonaise? Where did this idea come from!

Brochams MIlkyway 05-14-2009 12:30 AM

mayo well thats weird yeah im still not sure cause hes not that dark to start off with i feed livamol through winter and it brings his summer coat out nicely people say it makes them smutty but it hasnt seemed to on mine.
equineeventer3390 wow big diff well my paly isnt even that dark so mmm still a lil unconvinced but mmm well see ill try it maybe at the end of this year after our last ghymkhana
hes got a fused tendon in his near side hind leg he did that last aug so hes only just come back into proper work 2 weeks ago gotta re do so much stuff :( oh well thanks for the tips
and im still interested bout that mayo idea sounds a lil weird and smelly youd have to wash it off surely?????

Brochams MIlkyway 05-14-2009 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgood400 (Post 305933)
I wouldnt body clip him now. I think if you had decided to do it in Feb. it would have worked out but I think if you do it now you will be cutting your horses summer coat and his coat will look dull all summer.

yeah thing is with palominos they arent that shiny to start of with no brilliant golds at my place unfortunately
and trying not to have dapples is a plus to judges here dont like it cause it looks like (exactly wat theyve probably done) and fed them up to there eyeballs lol