The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Dandruff and hair loss (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/dandruff-hair-loss-27598/)

twogeldings 05-11-2009 11:06 AM

Dandruff and hair loss

Nothing serious, just a few questions.

First off, Sam is loosing the hair on his face. Mostly around his muzzle and up were the forlock sits it's rather...bald. I've taken to braiding his forelock now. He sweats quite a lot up there. Has anyone had this happen to them? I'm not worried about, it just looks kinda goofy. He is an older guy (16) so I suppose balding just kinda tags along :lol:

Second, on his crest, he has what seems like bad dandruff/flaking. It's causing him to itch quite a lot. He's always kinda scratched at it, but since the weather has started to heat up it's seem to have gotten worse, especially with added sweating. Could this possibly be rain rot, but only on the crest of the neck?
I use Cowboy Magic shampoo and rinse really well. Since he's started really scratching at it I've laid off using shampoo on his crest, I don't want to make it worse.

Nothing like this on my other guy whom I use the same shampoo on, the crest is the only part he's scratching.

Also along the ride of his spine and on the sides of it he always seems to have mild dandruff. He's had this since I got him (when I got him, it seemed like he hadn't seen a brush in months) and all it really does it dull the coat in the area and makes him look a bit dirty. Nothing serious, I usually just curry most of it out. It doesn't itch or bother him, it's more of a looks thing.

I'll be adding corn oil to everyones diets today. What should I use to combat the dandruff and itching? He has a beautifully shiny coat, I figure all those months with an inch of dirt packed in under his long winter coat really did a number on his skin. Otherwise he's happy and healthy.

EternalSun 05-12-2009 12:15 PM

I'd try the Eqyss Premiere shampoo at first to get rid of the dandruff. Then use Sore No More shampoo for whenever you regularly bathe them. The Sore No More is sodium laurel sulfate free, so it rinses out really easily and wont cause dry skin. It's also great for older horses because it's made with liniments, so it feels good on their sore muscles.

bexandponies 05-13-2009 12:45 AM

im not sure what would be of help for the hair loss but for the dandruff feed 1tsp of Sulfur dailey in his feed :) I feed it to all 3 of mine and they dont get a flake of dandruff :)

Laikhuram 06-08-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bexandponies (Post 306053)
im not sure what would be of help for the hair loss but for the dandruff feed 1tsp of Sulfur dailey in his feed :) I feed it to all 3 of mine and they dont get a flake of dandruff :)

I also agree with this idea of feeding Sulfur daily. You can apply a liberal dose of lemon juice to avoid dandruff for your horse. Try, it works!!!