The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   British Showjumping levels... confused! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/british-showjumping-levels-confused-276241/)

SeamusCrimin 09-14-2013 04:45 PM

British Showjumping levels... confused!

Can somebody explain to an idiot (me) about the classes?
Competitions and Classes - The Official Website of British Showjumping

So on the official website for British Showjumping, there's different types of classes:
British Novice Champs (0.9)
Discovery competion (1.0)
Newcomers (1.1)
Foxhunter (1.2)
(measurements are in metres)

I just am really stupid/tired/mentally drained... but if these are the only classes (groups of classes, I'm guessing?) then how do some people jump so high in the affiliated classes? Like FEI level, because I'm sure the maximum height of jumps can't surely be 1.2m
So if one was to start affiliated, they would enter BNC at 0.9m and then once they are qualified, they'd make it to DC at 1m, and then so on?

Or am I reading this all wrong.

Because as I explore the other options below Comps and Classes in the navigation bar, the heights are around 1.45m and so on...

At what level do people start when they become affiliated and why am I struggling so much to understand this???

If it's a stupidly confusing question that is confusing, you don't need to answer... but just a general outline of being affiliated in the sport would be great lol

NaeNae87 09-15-2013 11:19 PM

The friendly folk on Horse & Hound forum Horse and Hound Forums might be able to help as this forum seems to be mainly North American/Canadian...

jumanji321 09-16-2013 03:04 AM

...North American/Canadian are the same thing. Canadian is just more specific. Unless you meant Northern United States. Sorry, I just got really confused by what you meant NaeNae. I hope I don't offend you.

steff 09-16-2013 08:46 PM

the classes you have listed are all novice classes for grade C horses restricted on the amount a horse has won.. British novice not to have won 100 notional (the money that goes on their record) Newcomers 300 and Fox 500 I think.. there are bigger classes too you would then have 1.25m, 1.30m, 1.35m, 1.40m, 1.45m area trials are 1.50m international trials 1.55m .. 1.60m all of which are open to any grade some of the bigger classes are only open to grade A and B..

steff 09-16-2013 08:53 PM

P.S fogot to say about amatuers open to anyone not in the top 250 british showjumping list you only get on their list by gaining points for jumping 1.30m plus think for 1.20m amatuers is not in the top 450 on the ranking list classes BS start at 70cm but would say dont go affilated till your happy jumping 90cm unaffliated the spreads affliated are far wider than what you would get unaffliated anyway and if you can jump 90cm there are far more venues you can go to make use out of your membership rather than wait around for the few intro shows ;) you can go britishshowjumping club less money only 30 but dont get any prize money and not well enough established so less club events on..