The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   My Horse wont stand still while bathing!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/my-horse-wont-stand-still-while-27625/)

HorseJumpingIsMyLife 05-11-2009 06:32 PM

My Horse wont stand still while bathing!!!!

My Horse wont stand still While im bathing i tied him up and he BROKE the Lead rope ! So i Tried holding him and he let me do one complete side then he Took off bucking and Freaking out. What do i do!!!??????

KTSpeedhorse 05-11-2009 06:55 PM

Is this something new? How many times have you tried to bathe him? Is the water super cold? What kind of sprayer are you using? How much exposure to being bathed does your horse have?

wild_spot 05-11-2009 07:38 PM

Is he normally calm and does he normally stand quietly while tied? If so, he may be allergic to the shampoo you are using, I had this problem with my boy. I switched to a shampoo for sensitive skin, and voila :]

loveverythinghorses 05-15-2009 11:18 PM

Is the water cold?
Is he perhaps thinking that the hose could be a horse eating snake?
Did you start at the top and work down or starting at the bottom and work up?
Maybe he heard something that you didn't and it scared him.

Fire Eyes 05-16-2009 07:24 AM

My horse does that if it's a loud hissy sprayer head... Hope that kinda makes sense. If you don't have one of them, then the cold water/sensitive skin idea's sound probable.

Try tying him up, and bathe a different horse? It tricked my friends horse into being calm while baths. :P

saint3meg3rlfc 05-16-2009 07:51 PM

Try going slowly. Can you get someone else to hold him? Try working with just a warm sponge. Get him used to the area where you bath by just grooming him in there. As other posters said, check the water temperature.

lb_cake 05-17-2009 06:30 AM

My horse did the same thing to me when I tried to bathe him when he was almost about 2. He kept dancing around the tree, even though I started out real slow and easy. He broke the halter! Yeah, it got real muddy and messy and I felt like I was doing more harm then good, he was filthy! It is a gradual process. Start at his feet and let him get used to the sensation. Talk real slow and easy to him. Maybe try taking the hose away just as soon as he stops moving even for a second to reward him for being still by taking the pressure away. Keep doing that until he is comfortable with that and then work your way up to his upper legs and shoulder. It will definately take time! Hope everything goes well! :wink:

riccil0ve 05-19-2009 11:36 PM

Does he ever stand still? Start by teaching him to stand still. I had this problem with my filly, but I think our biggest problem was the crossties. I solved it in about ten minutes by stringing her lead rope through one of the crosstie rings and actually hooking her to the other one. I stood in front of her holding her lead rope that was strung through the ring [in case she panicked and bolted she wouldn't get stuck] and using a dressage whip I tapped her sides and got increasingly harder if she tried to swing herself sideways. Worked like a charm.

And like everyone said, get him used to the bathing area. Get him to stand nicely in the area, then introduce the hose, maybe just getting his feet wet. Keep your sessions with him sweet and short, always ending on a good note. If he has to go three months without a bath, so be it. Good luck! Just remember that patience is key!