The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Knee Arthritis? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/knee-arthritis-276313/)

Incitatus32 09-14-2013 05:10 PM

Knee Arthritis?

Okay so I recently fractured my patella lifting hay :oops:. Thankfully the patella itself did not break, but the cartilage and bone underneath it was shaved off and went into my calf muscle. I had surgery and have my exercises to do before I get into physical therapy but I need a bit of help from people who have experienced this (or any knee injury) or people who know about the medical profession!

1. From what I can tell (through personal research and some early conversations with my suregon) patella fractures can cause a high risk of arthritis (especially in patients that have a genetic history of arthritis). I've been thinking and wondered if I should take MSM or another supplement to help curb this (as every female on both sides of my family have arthritis in the knees)? How well did this work for you or in your experience?

2. What's the best way to bend my knee? I've got it to about 30-60 degrees but I'm not sure which would strengthen it more, by repeatedly bending it or by keeping it there for a while and then doing the same again?

I've got another appointment in a month and know that I should contact the surgeon with these concerns and I'm planning too next month, I'd just like some input beforehand as he's out of town right now. I am keeping in mind that it's going slow and I'm only on day 3 of being able to bend it but it's driving me nuts because I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong or there's some trick to strengthing the muscles and knee better that I've failed to pick up on.
Thank you in advance!

Bagheera 09-15-2013 09:25 PM

Ask your doctor for sure. I can't answer your questions, but I can tell you that down the road, when you get arthritis, staying active and excersising regularly makes a huge difference in the pain/discomfort you will have. I'm 25yrs old and have arthritis in both knees. If I don't exercise a few times a week, my knees bother the daylights out of me.

Incitatus32 09-15-2013 09:36 PM

Okay thanks for your advice! :) I've got arthritis in my back now but due to the knee injury I haven't been able to do the exercises...though honestly they really didn't help at all.... Oh the joys haha Ever feel like your body's plotting against you?

Bagheera 09-15-2013 09:50 PM

I don't feel like my body is conspiring against me. I just feel old! Lol Some days I wake up and hobble around like an old lady for the first 15mins after getting out of bed. Lol

Incitatus32 09-15-2013 10:05 PM

I feel you on that one! I joke with my doctor/surgeon that I'm 18 going on 80 because of the issues I've been having lately. Oh, and 25 is FAR from old! :wink:

CLaPorte432 09-15-2013 10:37 PM

A gluclosamine/chondriotin/msm supplement would do you wonders! Omega 3 fatty acids are great for cartlidge, joint, hair, nails. So that would be fish oil, flaxseed oil etc.

Personally id stay away from Omega 6. Fatty acids. Those are going to have inflammatory pproperties in it, which will increase irritation/swelling of arthritis and cause you pain. Look at foods that have any type of inflammatory properties in them, tomatoes are big in those. So avoid tomatoes.

follow your PT exercises to a T, do not over-do it too soon. You will regret it.

wear comfortable and supportive shoes, no matter how ugly they are. Don't go barefoot or wear thin flip flops/thin soled shoes.

If i was you, i would not run. Running is a (obviously) repetitive motion and the cuncussion put on your knees is incredible. I heard that a 100 pound person, when running, puts 400 pounds of pressure on their knees. Multiply what you were by 4, if you want to know what your weight will be!

do low impact exercises. Swimming, biking, yoga, pilates, etc.

and avoid taking high amounts of pain meds, and for long periods of time. Long term use of Tylenol can kill your liver. Long term use of Acetemaphine (IBuprofin/Vicodin) will kill your kidneys.

Eat well, maintain your weight, if your overweight...try to lose weight. (Like im one to talk there... ;-)) But you get my drift. Take care of yourself.

since your problems could be genetic, it may be a matter of time before it happens. But you can potentially prolonge it by taking care of yourself...

you also need to stay active. Walking/moving is going to keep you loose and not allow you to stiffen up. You'll have to find that balance of what's right. Not too little movement where your stiff, and not too much movement where you overdo it and your sore.

my mom had torn minicus surgery about 6 months ago. They cleaned up the arthritis she had going on, and her knee feels almost as bad as it did before surgery. Scar tissue and what not has made her miserable. On top of her not following all the instructions and wanting to run too early. She derailed her healing by not allowing herself time to heal.

don't you do the same!
Posted via Mobile Device

Druydess 09-15-2013 11:25 PM

I'm an RN who has treated hundreds of total knee replacements/injuries and orthopaedic patients. Take it slow as far as exercise and do what is recommended and no more for now. A PT will guide you as to the progression of exercise and level of difficulty. Repetition right now is not as important as slow, gentle range of motion. Weight-bearing joints need a LOT of time to heal.
As CLaPorte said.. a gluclosamine/chondriotin/msm supplement would help quite a bit, but you have to take this for months to have an effect, and keep taking it. The knee joint is not vascular, so it takes eons to heal and re-create synovial fluid and heal damage. I'd also recommend highly getting some hyaluronic acid. This stuff is miraculous. You can order it online or use the same stuff you get for your horses.

Throwing in some Cat's Claw would also be beneficial.

Hyaluronic Acid and Its Endless Benefits | Gnet Health and Fitness

Incitatus32 09-15-2013 11:27 PM

Thanks I'll be sure not too! haha I'm taking all the tips into consideration! I did hear back from him and apparently while he was out of town he had another surgeon who specializes in arthritis look at it to see what he thought. Appearently it's looking a ton better then he thought, though the guy did point out he can see a tiny bit of arthritis in it (we're supposing from an existing injury that never healed). The sooner the better in my book!

Although I do have to ask (because I'm curious) are there any differences between the horse msm supplement and the people? My boss swears there isn't so now there's a bit of a wonderment on my part. If not halleluiah my mare's on that and I can abscond some of hers while I'm dead broke! :wink:

Edit: Thank you Druydess I'll be sure to check that out! I'm sure you could offer more input to my above question! :) Also, would you recommend taking it while I'm healing or waiting until it's all healed up-well, more so than it is now?

Druydess 09-15-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incitatus32 (Post 3642921)
Thanks I'll be sure not too! haha I'm taking all the tips into consideration! I did hear back from him and apparently while he was out of town he had another surgeon who specializes in arthritis look at it to see what he thought. Appearently it's looking a ton better then he thought, though the guy did point out he can see a tiny bit of arthritis in it (we're supposing from an existing injury that never healed). The sooner the better in my book!

Although I do have to ask (because I'm curious) are there any differences between the horse msm supplement and the people? My boss swears there isn't so now there's a bit of a wonderment on my part. If not halleluiah my mare's on that and I can abscond some of hers while I'm dead broke! :wink:

Edit: Thank you Druydess I'll be sure to check that out! I'm sure you could offer more input to my above question! :) Also, would you recommend taking it while I'm healing or waiting until it's all healed up-well, more so than it is now?

It is exactly the same. It's simply sulfur in digestible form. Some brands state on the label- 99.9% pure. In fact, it was the use of MSM on horses that led to its use in humans.

I would take it right away- 2-3 times/day. Of course I always have preface such information with the standard check with your Dr. statement. I take as an MSM supp and Biotin simply for the "side effects" which are thicker hair and stronger nails. (They also found that with horses-- i.e.- thicker manes and stronger hooves.) :wink:
And I can say it really works.. I have long, thick hair, and stronger nails. And no joint issues..LOL

Druydess 09-16-2013 12:03 AM

I forgot to mention-- diet-wise- Get as much calcium as possible to support cell regeneration of underlying bone. And you're NOT going to get it from dairy products. That's a bunch of crap fed to us by the dairy industry. The BEST source of calcium is green, leafy vegetables.