The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Treats! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/treats-27668/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-12-2009 12:29 PM

Treats!

What's the strangest thing you've fed your horse for a treat? :-) My horse is addicted to peppermint candies! She gets the sugar free kind because when I got her 6 mos ago she was about 150 lbs overweight so I didn't want to give her any sugar!

She doesn't get them too often, but if we've had a particularly "well behaved" lesson I'll give her a couple afterwards!

Ever been eating something yourself (like a cookie) and decided to see if your horse would like it? haha! Or, better yet, has anyone ever tried a horse treat themselves?! I was putting a strawberry Lik-it in her stall yesterday and before I did, a few of us girls at the barn decided to try it ourselves and it was good!! :lol: (yes, we have issues lol)

I was eating Jolly Ranchers at work today and thought to myself, "I wonder if Sandie would like these!?" But they seem like they might be too hard for her to eat...anyone ever feed Jolly Ranchers to your horse? :shock:

jackieboy2 05-12-2009 01:29 PM

My horses have eaten Jolly Ranchers lol. We bought them a HUGE bag of hard candies at Costco, and we give them those as treats. Just 1 or 2 a day because of the sugar, but they're easy to just put in your pocket, and they're cheap! The eat peppermint, werthers, jolly ranchers, and other assorted flavors of hard candies. They love them. We have to keep them in the fridge in the summer time though because they will get sticky and melt in the summer heat.

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-12-2009 08:40 PM

yeah I made the mistake of leaving mine in my tack cubby and they all melted last year!!!

maybe I'll see if she wants a jolly rancher tomorrow ;-) I know from the other hard candy I've given her that she hates watermelon and lemon but she will eat just about any other flavor lol

LeahKathleen 05-13-2009 03:05 AM

Loot loves Mountain Dew... not sure why, lol, but she loves it.

ChingazMyBoy 05-13-2009 05:52 AM

Chinga likes Choccy and I like Pony Pellets (Nah Jokes I ate one once though) My dog likes Pony Pellets and my horse likes dog food

Fire Eyes 05-13-2009 06:46 AM

I feed my horse Jelly Beans. He loves them. Same with any kind of licorise.

orangetictac 05-13-2009 07:11 AM

Cope loves bbq potato chips. He also likes jelly beans.

hotreddun 05-13-2009 11:02 AM

:oops::lol:I too have licked a Lik-it. My horse eats just about anything....as do I.

smrobs 05-13-2009 01:25 PM

I used to carry a range cube around in my pocket and eat on it and I have broken the corner off of a salt block several times to lick on. As for my horses, the only one that is really odd is Dobe. He is the only horse I have ever seen that is willing to go out of his way to take a bite of a sage brush or a yucca plant. Sage brush is his favorite though.

crystal8489 05-13-2009 04:51 PM

I give stormy Mt. Dew and Gatorade and she loves it, if I sit a bottle of Mt. Dew on a fence post she will pick it up and bring it to me to give her some, it is hilarious!:lol: I have also been to Saban and I was eating pretzels and he ate those up, when I give himi the peppermint treats he eats it but I dont know that he loves it!