The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Horses are nuts for loose minerals! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/horses-nuts-loose-minerals-276913/)

Viranh 09-15-2013 06:17 PM

Horses are nuts for loose minerals!

Let me start by saying that my horses both get a multivitamin and have access to a salt block. I read that loose salt/loose minerals are easier for horses than a block, so when their salt block ran out, I bought a loose mineral, Ragland's High Performance Horse mineral. Well, my husband set the bag too close to the fence last night, and my horses reached through and opened the bag to get to it. When I put it out, they both took big mouthfuls of it. They've since left it alone, so I'm not too worried they're going to overeat it now, but I'm curious why it was so appealing to them? They worked pretty hard to steal the bag and open it through the fence. Is their diet not as balanced as I think it is, or are they just being obnoxious because it's a new thing?

Left Hand Percherons 09-15-2013 06:27 PM

They needed it. I know if I run out (they all get free choice loose minerals) they will sit there and power through it until they get their fill. I would be giving them loose white salt as well.

Viranh 09-15-2013 07:24 PM

I'm glad I decided to get them rather than a new block then. I will add salt too. I had thought about that, because without additional salt they might eat too much mineral on a hot day.

NorthernMama 09-15-2013 09:28 PM

Yes, my horses went right after the minerals too when I started them on it. The minerals have helped with hoof health on the mare I currently have, who had notoriously thrushy feet. The thrush is not nearly as bad as it was anymore. Interesting...

And, yes keep the salt out there as well. I tried using free running salt, but after a while, it just solidifies anyway at my place. I'm not sure it makes a difference if it's free running or a block.

flytobecat 09-15-2013 09:30 PM

I've been told the blocks can make their tongue sore and that they don't get enough of the minerals if you have them.
Northern -what kind of loose salt were using?

NorthernMama 09-15-2013 09:45 PM

FTBC - I had heard the same thing about the blocks so when I need another, I opted for the blue free running salt. I figured it couldn't hurt to try it in another form. I forget why I bought the blue instead of white now... There was a reason, but that was a couple of years ago. LOL It could even be that the white was not available. Small towns. <sigh>

I keep the salt in the barn, sheltered from weather and my mare has free access to it.

The salt that is in my storage pail is even packed a bit. We are not in an overly humid environment, but even our road salt gets packed in its container.

CLaPorte432 09-15-2013 09:46 PM

This is interesting.

can someone list some brands of loose minerals/salt to use?

I have a mineral block, white salt block, and a himilayian salt block. But would be curious to see what they'd do with loose minerals/salt.
Posted via Mobile Device

NorthernMama 09-15-2013 09:53 PM

I use Hoffman's minerals.

Viranh 09-15-2013 10:06 PM

My farm supply carries Ragland's, but those are made in Neosho, MO, so I don't know if they're available outside this area.

winwillows 09-30-2013 04:25 PM

We worked with MoorMans (now ADM) on a reformulation of the GrowStrong minerals quite a few years ago. That became the standard formulation for them, and it is a good one. There is a lot for the money in that product. On salt, I am using Redmond. The trace mineral content is about 9%, my horses love it and eat it much better in times of stress than regular salt blocks. Typical trace mineral salt blocks are just enough trace mineral to make it a different color, and can be misleading if you think that your are really getting significant trace mineral support.