The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Help on school project. Opinions of Body mods! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/help-school-project-opinions-body-mods-27717/)

Fire Eyes 05-13-2009 07:48 AM

Help on school project. Opinions of Body mods!

Hello, my school project is on the way people get looked at differently for the way they dress, or do there hair, or if they have piercings etc.
So I thought I'd ask here!
What are your opinions of piercings?
What do you think when you see a young person in all black?
What about outrageous hair? (Mohawk or bright colours for example.)

Thanks in advance. :)

iridehorses 05-13-2009 08:01 AM

Fire Eyes, there are many more variables that need to be considered. The age, education, geographic location, religion, profession, sex, race, etc. of the person being polled.

As an example, a young person from the inner city will have a much different opinion then a middle aged professional from the suburbs.

Fire Eyes 05-13-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 306162)
As an example, a young person from the inner city will have a much different opinion then a middle aged professional from the suburbs.

Yes, I know. That's why I'm asking for some different people's opinions. -rolls eyes- I am also asking friends, family etc. I need lots of peoples of opinions, different types of people, from different places. Thus why I'm asking here!

iridehorses 05-13-2009 09:18 AM

Then speaking as an older business owner with grown children, I'm not crazy about piercings at all. I find them to be a distraction and complete turnoff.

Kids dressed in black. If you mean the whole garth thing, I see it as a phase same as spiked, colored hair. It's not permanent and harmless. My daughter went though the different color hair - full color, streaks, half and half. Some of it looked good on her while some looked goofy but I allowed it (she also had a tongue and navel piercing as well).

All in all, I can get by with the black clothes and the different hair styles, but I have a great deal of trouble with piercings.

Fire Eyes 05-13-2009 09:33 AM

Okay, thankyou. Anyone else?

Jake and Dai 05-13-2009 09:57 AM

This is a question rather near and dear to my heart actually and I may not be anywhere near the norm of the answers you'll receive. :D

I am a middle aged professional and I work for a global corporation that is rather conservative, yet I have multiple ear piercings and quite a few tattoos (most not visible in work attire). I don't think my career has suffered for it as I am seen and appreciated as the "creative" one and it is a bit more permissable in the workplace these days than in the past.

I do think people should think carefully about their long range career goals and the impact on visible body mods will be to that. My 18 yr old daughter was apprenticing to be a tattoo artist for quite a while but then decided that she may want to do something else with her life. She does have a few tattoos but was careful to have them in places not visible until she settles on what she wants to be when she grows up.

Sorry for the novel :wink:...but in short, I like to see well placed piercings, tattoos and funky hair! But that's just me.

Vidaloco 05-13-2009 10:37 AM

Input from an older, middle America housewife.
Piercings and tattoos should be well well thought out and well placed. I have a niece whose live in boyfriend is in the process of having some facial tats removed. He did them as a teenager and now in his late 20's sees the problems that judgment of others has in getting a job or any other white bread situation.
I have nothing against tattoos or piercings ( I have them) just keep them off your face and hands.
The only dress or hair problems I have is wanting to pull up the pants of the kid serving me in a store. Please thongs and saggers I don't want to see your underwear!

Survalia 05-13-2009 11:20 AM

My 2 cents

Middle aged, midwest conservative woman. I really do think that in this part of the country, a person with visible tatoos and facial piercings might be seen as slightly suspect, at least until more is known about them. These things may put the person farther down on a job list, for instance, when all other things are equal. If a young man with these modifications came to date my daughter, I would be slightly more anxious about him than otherwise. I would want to find out why he chooses to do these things.

TaMMa89 05-13-2009 02:38 PM

Young 19yrs old woman, Finland, pretty little & homogenous town (=conspicious styles aren't so common over here). Personally I've some conspicious clothes but mainly I'm pretty "ordinary", inconspicious person. No piercings (when I was a child I had earrings) or tattoos.

At first I want to say I think it's everybody's own issue what to do with him/her body and I accept it. For me, small piercings like earrings or other restrained piercings/tattoos are ok and don't arouse any kind of specific conceptions or anything. If I meet a person who's all over covered with tattoos/piercings/ has very conspicuos bodymodifications I usually start to think what are his/her motives for that? What kind of person s/he's otherwise, under these bodymods? How about him/her attitude towards life and norms of society? (Now that sounds perhaps pretty negative but please don't take it so 'cos I mean it all neutral way).

When I see young person in black can it make me think two kind of thoughts:
1) If the person is "older" young (around 20yrs and older or something like that) I start to think her philosophy, why s/he had chosen that style, if there's some deeper philosophy behind these clothes and all kind of thoughts that I'd think with conspicious bodymods too. Please notice I mean that neutral way again.

2)If the person is very young I start to think about teenage and pain of it. That how you try to find your identity when you're teen. I usually also start to think if there's everything ok with the teen in black and if s/he has troubles with his/her life? I've found that sometimes teens who had troubles with their life express their bad feelings with style and clothes (which are often gloomy and dark). I still don't want to overgeneralize that all teens in black would have troubles.

Spastic_Dove 05-13-2009 02:49 PM

I have tattoos, piercings, and wear black (It's slimming!).
I book bands and have toured with greasy metal heads who don't shower (Unless you count the walmart bathroom sink).

I am also a 4.0 student, volunteer, work as a vet tech, and am a full time student.

My tattoo is on my foot where you can hide it. My other tattoos will be relatively hidden. I've had surface piercings and could still have them where I work, but I took them out mostly cause I got bored with it.

Honestly, wearing black or having tattoo's/piercings don't bother me.