The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Diarrhea and vet can't help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/diarrhea-vet-cant-help-277498/)

MustangGirl 09-16-2013 03:01 PM

Diarrhea and vet can't help

My mustang gelding is suffering from a weird case of ongoing (chronic, I guess) diarrhea. Everytime I ride out to an arena or trail, he poops and it's almost always runny. Not liquid runny but definitely way too soft to be normal. And it's usually green-ish as well. At home his poops seem to be more normal sometimes but I don't see him poop as often at home (don't live where I keep him) as I do when we go ride.

I took him to the vet who took a stool sample and said worms weren't a problem, no bacteria or other weird stuff showed up in the sample. He gave me a probiotic and sent me on my way. The probiotic is now gone and it didn't really help. I would say his stool got 10% harder sometimes but other times was just as soft and runny as normal.

I'm leaning toward a nervousness issue but I have taken him to the arena countless times and desensitized him to everything there. He also doesn't act out of character or nervous while I'm riding, besides the runny poop.

If it is nervousness, how can I help this? Was thinking about running another scope for ulcers but we did that when I brought him home 3 months ago and he was clear.

He gets no grain and is on a 60 acre grass pasture, fertilized but he is the only horse out of 10 that has runny poop consistently.
Posted via Mobile Device

MustangGirl 09-16-2013 03:05 PM

I should also mention his poop on the trailer ride over is *usually* more solid than his poop at our destination. It gets runnier as the day goes on.

It is also HOT here and he drinks a ridiculous amount of water compared to the other horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Northern 09-16-2013 03:06 PM

Sometimes old-timers, folks who have decades of horse experience, will know what vets don't: can you look up any of those? Maybe there's one nearby who'd even visit your horse.

eta: He drinks much more than the other horses? Seems that'd liquify his poo. Did you tell the vet that he drinks much more? That's either a symptom of something wrong, or normal for this horse, with the harmless but messy side effect of runny poo.

DuffyDuck 09-16-2013 03:14 PM

We had this from a school pony, and it was put down to 'worm damage'.

We fed him bierhefe which literally translates to beer yeast.. Not sure what you guys would call it?

deserthorsewoman 09-16-2013 03:56 PM

Brewer's yeast, Duffy:-)
I'd try that, and also magnesium, to help with the nerves also.
I knew a QH mare who would spook intestinally.....stayed in place, never flinched, but produced enormous cow pies when spooked. One of my current horses also gets softer poo when a little exited. If he's normal when at home, I'd definitely go with the magnesium.

DuffyDuck 09-16-2013 03:59 PM

Do you have ANY idea how many years that has been bugging me?! thank you again desert :)

smrobs 09-16-2013 04:13 PM

Yes, that's stress-poo. The only thing I ever found that helped that was just more training and exposure (never tried feeding anything to help since it was only an occasional thing in certain situations). When they get to the point that they are calm and non-reactive, the stress poop usually goes away because the stress has gone away.

TessaMay 09-16-2013 04:16 PM

I've known horses that will get runny poop from the heat. You said it's hot there, so that could be a contributing factor.

PaintHorseMares 09-16-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 3648490)
Yes, that's stress-poo. The only thing I ever found that helped that was just more training and exposure (never tried feeding anything to help since it was only an occasional thing in certain situations). When they get to the point that they are calm and non-reactive, the stress poop usually goes away because the stress has gone away.

I would guess this, too. Our youngest/bottom/least confident mare would always start a ride out alone this way.
Posted via Mobile Device

GottaQH 09-16-2013 04:58 PM

Pumpkin.