The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   What grain to feed a growing colt? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/what-grain-feed-growing-colt-277953/)

catabear 09-17-2013 06:01 AM

What grain to feed a growing colt?
 
Hey guys. I have a 1.5 yr old draft cross colt that is currently just on free range pasture, but he's a bit thinner than I like. I was wondering what grain you'd recommend for a growing horse, and how much? I don't want to overload his system, but I would like for him to gain a little bit more weight. Suggestions?

Thank you :)

Cherrij 09-17-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catabear (Post 3653321)
Hey guys. I have a 1.5 yr old draft cross colt that is currently just on free range pasture, but he's a bit thinner than I like. I was wondering what grain you'd recommend for a growing horse, and how much? I don't want to overload his system, but I would like for him to gain a little bit more weight. Suggestions?

Thank you :)

For youngsters, you want to feed as little as possible to keep weight, so they don't get a growth spur.
Linseed oil, or soya oil, Alfalfa, beetpulp, rice bran, and other slow release energy sources. Preferably nothing with a lot of NSCs.. It is worth looking at stud or foal mixes (apparently some breeders will feed the stud mix to all growing foals) But maybe its just better to feed him extra higher calorie hay?

loosie 09-18-2013 04:05 AM

Agree with the above. Remember also that youngsters can go through 'gangly' stages & that doesn't mean they're underweight - they shouldn't look like a well fed mature horse. Good nutrition would be my concern with pasture only diet though & an appropriate 'ration balancer' or such wouldn't go astray.

Cherrij 09-18-2013 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 3662185)
Agree with the above. Remember also that youngsters can go through 'gangly' stages & that doesn't mean they're underweight - they shouldn't look like a well fed mature horse. Good nutrition would be my concern with pasture only diet though & an appropriate 'ration balancer' or such wouldn't go astray.

Basically, on pasture and ration balancer the youngster shouldn't look extremely bony, however, they will show ribs, and will seem off everywhere, but that also depends on how fast they will grow etc.

My 3 yr old is still called very young, as his breed matures closer to 7-8 yrs. So at the moment he is fed just for strength.. he only gets about 3 lbs on top of his free range hay and grass..

loosie 09-18-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherrij (Post 3662266)
My 3 yr old is still called very young, as his breed matures closer to 7-8 yrs.

While it is recognised that some breeds don't mature till around then, it's not always known that no horse is mature until around 6-7 anyway.:wink:

Cherrij 09-18-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 3662402)
While it is recognised that some breeds don't mature till around then, it's not always known that no horse is mature until around 6-7 anyway.:wink:

Yes, many don't know that horses will not be fully mature until around 6-7, however many breeds look like they will for the rest of their lives around 5, gained bulk of muscle and some fat.. some horses never cover ribs :D Some get huge bellies around 2 already :D

ParaIndy 09-20-2013 07:16 PM

I feed my 14 month old colt soaked alfalfa pellets (1 pound dry), Mega Cell vit/min supplement, with some oats and flax seed added. He looks great! He is not thin, but his ribs are easy to feel and he is not in danger of becoming fat. He is on pasture and grass hay.

ropinbiker 09-27-2013 04:23 PM

i feed my 6 mo free choice hay and about a 1/2 scoop of omalene 300 twice a day...he looks great.

PaintHorseMares 09-27-2013 06:14 PM

We feed our 5 month old colt the same feed as our mares. He gets 1 1/2 cups 2x a day of a 10-12% protein performance mix from our local mill, pasture, and free choice hay. He's 12.2+ hh and around 440 lbs. He's getting big like mom/grandma, but not unexpected, coming out of stocky, halter body, Impressive line.
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0