The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   I rescued my first dog yesterday, a few questions! (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/i-rescued-my-first-dog-yesterday-278074/)

Oh Wait Its Cait 09-17-2013 02:03 PM

I rescued my first dog yesterday, a few questions!

My best friend Court had a dog named Shadow, and when he went off to high school and all that his dad was left to care for the dog...his dad is also a meth addict. He wasn't feeding Shadow, or watering her, or taking her to the vet. Her nails are unclipped and she was really dehydrated. I got Court's permission and I removed her from the home "temporarily...I wasn't counting on falling in love her but I did, and now she has a forever home with my family. I have a vet appointment tomorrow for shots and a check up, but I have a few general questions as she is my first dog!

1. How much water does the average dog drink and how often?
Why: She's been drinking three bowls at a time at least eight times a day, which seems excessive to me. I got her last night.

2. She is a 75lb golden retriever, and I am feeding her 2.5 cups of Pedigree Healthy Longevity biscuits 2x a day as per the instructions on the bag. I'm also giving her a half can of small wet food 2x a day with the biscuits as she seems to love Pedigree chicken and rice. I asked my vet about whether this was an okay feeding, and she said yes, but I was wondering what food brand you swear by? Dry food, or wet, or both? How much per day?

3. Do you prefer harness or collar? I'm leaning towards harness because she practically chokes herself with her current ill fitting collar on walks and a harness just seems like less pressure.

Thank you in advance!
-Cait :-)

Corporal 09-17-2013 02:10 PM

You SHOULD ask your Vet all of these questions bc the Vet will be giving your new dog a checkup, too.
Regarding water, I keep clean water in a bowl in the same place for my dogs at ALL TIMES.
Some people like to set a single feeding time for their dogs and stick to it. IMO, you should do that with puppies bc you can house train them much easier when you can time how long it is between eating and evacuating.
I also keep my dog's bowls full at all times. My dogs are working farm dogs that spend the nights and when we are at work in the house.
Your Vet will confirm that whatever you feed, if you decide to change feeds do it gradually to avoid digestive problems.
Bless you for taking this great dog.

Oh Wait Its Cait 09-17-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 3655770)
You SHOULD ask your Vet all of these questions bc the Vet will be giving your new dog a checkup, too.
Regarding water, I keep clean water in a bowl in the same place for my dogs at ALL TIMES.
Some people like to set a single feeding time for their dogs and stick to it. IMO, you should do that with puppies bc you can house train them much easier when you can time how long it is between eating and evacuating.
I also keep my dog's bowls full at all times. My dogs are working farm dogs that spend the nights and when we are at work in the house.
Your Vet will confirm that whatever you feed, if you decide to change feeds do it gradually to avoid digestive problems.
Bless you for taking this great dog.

Thank you so much for the advice! How do you keep water topped up during the night? She'll empty her bowl within a few minutes and it's a BIG BOWL
Should I maybe invest in an automatic waterer?

cless12 09-17-2013 02:14 PM

I feed both my dogs around 2 scoops a day and we only use dry dog food. I know that I pay around $50 a bag and that lasts about 3 weeks for both my dogs. I use lamb and rice kind of dog food because my lab sometimes has seizures.

The drinking water all depends on the day or they are not getting enough. I know that if dogs drink too quickly they will end up throwing it back up so maybe watch that. The dog could just be dehydrated.

The collar and harness thing all depends on the dog. I use collar but only because my dog heals really well. I would start with a harness until the dog is healing more then maybe go to the collar. I just think that collars are less of a pain

Oh Wait Its Cait 09-17-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cless12 (Post 3655826)
I feed both my dogs around 2 scoops a day and we only use dry dog food. I know that I pay around $50 a bag and that lasts about 3 weeks for both my dogs. I use lamb and rice kind of dog food because my lab sometimes has seizures.

The drinking water all depends on the day or they are not getting enough. I know that if dogs drink too quickly they will end up throwing it back up so maybe watch that. The dog could just be dehydrated.

The collar and harness thing all depends on the dog. I use collar but only because my dog heals really well. I would start with a harness until the dog is healing more then maybe go to the collar. I just think that collars are less of a pain

Thank you so much! :)
What brand of food do you feed?

cless12 09-17-2013 02:21 PM

That I can not remember because we put our dog food in plastic holder because my lab can be a stinker and rip the bag and eat it all! I know that I have to get a new bag here soon in a couple days and I will look at it and let you know I believe it is Nutrisource I believe it is

Oh Wait Its Cait 09-17-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cless12 (Post 3655890)
That I can not remember because we put our dog food in plastic holder because my lab can be a stinker and rip the bag and eat it all! I know that I have to get a new bag here soon in a couple days and I will look at it and let you know I believe it is Nutrisource I believe it is

Awesome, thank you!!!:D

myhorsesonador 09-17-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oh Wait Its Cait (Post 3655738)
My best friend Court had a dog named Shadow, and when he went off to high school and all that his dad was left to care for the dog...his dad is also a meth addict. He wasn't feeding Shadow, or watering her, or taking her to the vet. Her nails are unclipped and she was really dehydrated. I got Court's permission and I removed her from the home "temporarily...I wasn't counting on falling in love her but I did, and now she has a forever home with my family. I have a vet appointment tomorrow for shots and a check up, but I have a few general questions as she is my first dog!

1. How much water does the average dog drink and how often?
Why: She's been drinking three bowls at a time at least eight times a day, which seems excessive to me. I got her last night.

2. She is a 75lb golden retriever, and I am feeding her 2.5 cups of Pedigree Healthy Longevity biscuits 2x a day as per the instructions on the bag. I'm also giving her a half can of small wet food 2x a day with the biscuits as she seems to love Pedigree chicken and rice. I asked my vet about whether this was an okay feeding, and she said yes, but I was wondering what food brand you swear by? Dry food, or wet, or both? How much per day?

3. Do you prefer harness or collar? I'm leaning towards harness because she practically chokes herself with her current ill fitting collar on walks and a harness just seems like less pressure.

Thank you in advance!
-Cait :-)

Pedigree is really crappy food, it's like feeding you kids Mcdonalds every day. Check out dogfoodadvisor.com

I feed Diamond naturals, It's a good food, it is affordable, and can be found at any Tractor Supply.

I prefer to teach loose leash walking on a collar, harnesses were meant for pulling, and it's much easier on every one if she would learn to walk with some manners.
Check out kikopup on youtube, she has a lot of awesome training videos.

Corporal 09-17-2013 02:39 PM

Get a bigger water bowl. This winter your dog will drink a lot less. Dogs don't sweat but they pant out their water.
Regarding collars, I like and have used synthetic and leather collars. For walking I prefer a choke chain bc, like horses, there is an immediate release when the dog listens.
Regarding food, I haven't tried Diamond but I might. I have been feeding Purina, now switched to lamb and rice bc one dog has drier skin, but some dogs need a different feed bc of skin of digestive issues.
You are gonna LOVE having a dog!!! When people get other animals they EXPECT the devotion that only a dog will give. Every bit of time you put in playing and training your dog pays off. I acknowledge my two dogs every day and I am the pack leader. They know when I'm on my way home miles before I reach the driveway. When I go on a vacation without them they sulk.
You are your dog's ENTIRE WORLD. That is why it is so special that you took her. **hugs**

Corporal 09-17-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 3656010)
ithout them they sulk.
You are your dog's ENTIRE WORLD. That is why it is so special that you took her. **hugs**

Here is my SIL FB page with her now, passed on rescue collie, "Abbey Sioux."
https://www.facebook.com/abbey.sioux...on=event_guest
The picture says it all.