The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   do i breed her? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/do-i-breed-her-27808/)

PontiMinto 05-14-2009 06:47 PM

do i breed her?

i need help as i have been asked if i want to breed my mare april to a verry nice stally that my freind knows

she is 17 years old but people dont think her age is a problem she is verry fit and healthy
the vet said she will be fine but i want to know other peoples thorts

is 17 too old ?
or just fine?

thanks
soph

Spastic_Dove 05-14-2009 06:48 PM

Is she a maiden?

PontiMinto 05-14-2009 06:52 PM

yes she is

Jillyann 05-14-2009 07:07 PM

If the vet thinks she is okay for the job, i would. You may be surprised with her. =)

mybabysewanka 05-14-2009 07:25 PM

If the vet says that she is okay to breed then you should be a-okay... Just take into consideration of what you want to do with the baby, conformation...blah blah blah...lol.... It's a loonngg 11 months..lol.. Im hopefully going to be ending my 11 month waiting game soon.... Let us know what you decide to do with your girl would love to know! :)

Joshie 05-14-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PontiMinto (Post 307184)
i need help as i have been asked if i want to breed my mare april to a verry nice stally that my freind knows

Why do you want to breed her? Pregnancy is hard on the body. Is she registered? Is the stallion? What is her conformation? The stallion's? Do they compliment each other? Will the baby be registered? Can you afford the extra feed, vet care, foal care, baby training? What happens if she gets ill?

There's an awful lot to consider. I'd not breed a mare unless her form and the sire's form is excellent. There are so many foals and yearlings who are being given away or sold for less than $500. Even if you don't pay for the breeding you'll have more than $500 in the foal.

Breeding is something people should do only after careful consideration.

Whipple 05-14-2009 11:45 PM

What are you planning on doing with the baby?

Sixxofdiamonds 05-15-2009 12:50 AM

I second what Joshie said.

I would only breed if both were registered and had good conformation AND TEMPERAMENT as well as complimenting one another.

Personally, I wouldn't breed a horse unless I was a breeding stable or wanted a new foal for myself to train and keep forever.

17 for a healthy horse is perfectly fine breeding age, in my opinion. Especially with a vet OK.

But before I say 'yes' or 'no' I'd need more info. Just because a stallion is available and cheap (or free) doesn't mean you should necessarily breed.

ohmyitschelle 05-15-2009 02:15 AM

Wow... I didn't realise you were planning on breeding April.
I think she'd make a good Mummy. I was going to breed her myself before I sold her to you if I had kept her long enough. But once she got diagnosed with arthritis, I decided against it.
But if the vet thinks she'll be good to go, then woohoo! Little April babies.
x

JustDressageIt 05-15-2009 12:13 PM

Depending on the severity and location of the arthritis, having to carry a foal for 11 months could be very detrimental to your mare's health.