The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   *sigh* My silly horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/%2Asigh%2A-my-silly-horse-27809/)

wild_spot 05-14-2009 07:01 PM

*sigh* My silly horse.

So, Bundy has ripped up his back leg. Don’t horses always have the worst timing! I was taking him to the AMGA National Pairs this weekend, A group trail ride the weekend after… And if he isn’t better the weekend after that, he’s dead. I paid $450 to attend a Campdraft school with really good instructors. Argh!

I went to catch him on Wednesday… his near hind leg was all swollen from just below the hock down to the fetlock. He hasn’t actually cut it too badly… It’s more like skin off in a big U shape, with the bottom of the U at his fetlock and stretching up either side of his cannon bone. One side of the U also extends up onto his hock, and this is were it is cut deepest and had bled the most.

So I hosed it off, (which he was NOT happy about) and walked him over to our shed. Small mercies, he isn’t lame. Took his rug off and looked him over he has a little skin off above his hock on his off hind as well, but no other injuries. Drove to my vet and got some penicillin and painkillers, and some vet wrap which I had conveniently run out off. I can’t give shots :s so a friend who was there gave them while I distracted him with feed. We didn’t know what he would do, but he hardly even flinched!

Bandaging was another matter though. Had to give him a bucket full of his feed to keep him still, and he kept trying to kick. It must have been super sore. It was really hard to bandage as it extended up his hock… Well sure enough next morning he had kicked it down and it was bunched around his pastern. I cut it off and just left it off. It was still swollen but he was walking around a fair bit more.

Checked it last night and still looks much the same. At least he isn’t lame I guess.

I have no idea how he has done it. The only things in his paddock are the fences, rocks, and an old cattle grid. Checked the grid and there is no hair or disturbed ground around it. None of the rocks are sharp… And it looks the wrong shape and type of injury to be wire.

I hope he gets better soon… I now have to borrow a horse for this weekend, and most likely next… I really hope he’s better for the Campdraft school, it was so hard finding a free weekend!

brookelovesparelli 05-14-2009 07:22 PM

I never even though about the trail ride or your camp drafting clinic. Bugger dude! I never knew it was national mounted games pairs... Holy Molly, My lil boys gonna be a *STAR* hehe I hope bundy gets better! :( poor lil thing

RedHawk 05-14-2009 10:24 PM

A horse at my paddock did the same thing: he sliced the skin off the front of his left hind from fetlock to hock and you could see about 6 inches of bone. His owner thinks that what he did was stick his leg through the fence while rolling and cut it that way, but we don't know. Fortunately he's pretty much all healed up now, but he was penned up for about 8 weeks.
Hope your boy is better soon!

wild_spot 05-15-2009 12:27 AM

Thanks! Thankfully he didn't pull any skin of the bone. I thought about the fence, but it seems the wrong way up if it was... Ah well. I guess i'll never know!

MyBoyPuck 05-17-2009 12:21 PM

My BO's horse did the same thing to his left hind yesterday. They could't find hair or blood anywhere. No idea how he did it. I'm starting to think he gave himself a "rug burn" with all the rolling he's doing in the dirt. At least those types of injuries seem to heal quickly. Just keep it clean and moist and wrap your horse in bubble wrap until the clinic!

wild_spot 05-17-2009 06:38 PM

Well, good news! The swelling is gone now, and I was able to ride him around steadily at a walk with a little bit of trotting yesterday. Not a lame step, and no more swelling, it just looks horrible still. So it looks like he will be fine for the school, yay!

RedHawk 05-25-2009 07:50 AM

That's good to hear! :D

wild_spot 05-25-2009 07:57 PM

Thanks! I was so relieved. Rode him on the trail on the weekend and no problems, so all set to go for this weekend!