The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   URGENT!!Deworming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/urgent-deworming-2781/)

DresRider 07-31-2007 02:49 PM

URGENT!!Deworming

My horse was dewormed with Ivermectin on June 25th and she is suppossed to be dewormed with Ivermectin for the month of July at our new barn. It is a new barn but still the same place she was dewormed in June.
Do I need to deworm her with Ivermectin again?
Is it bad to be dewormed with Ivermectin twice that close together :?: :!:

desperate horsewife 07-31-2007 03:04 PM

It won't hurt her to have Ivermectin that close; question is, does she need to be dewormed? I'd rather bring a fecal sample to the vet for an analysis of what type of worm load my horse is carrying, then deworm with the appropriate wormer, than to just use whatever everyone else is using, whenever they're using it.

Frog 07-31-2007 07:52 PM

I'll second that!! :D
In addition to above, when I first picked up my old mare they told me that she'd probably need to be wormed (she was a bit skinny) but I took a sample to the vet before I wormed her to find that she had no worm burden what so ever.

I lot of people worm their horses regularly, which in theory is a good practice, but take into account the chemicals that are being pumped into your horses body when you worm them, if they didn't need it, would you still do it??

I will worm my girls religiously just after bot season as I know that they ingest some of the little blighters, but other than that I will send a sample off during spring to get tested. Haven't had a problem yet :D

KANSAS_TWISTER 07-31-2007 11:59 PM

i worm ever 2 months...but that's my prefence...i use safegaurd because star is alergic to ivermaction, but 3 rd what was said.....take a sample to the vet

kitten_Val 08-01-2007 07:05 AM

I worm every 2 months. Never use the same dewormer twice in row (do the rotation all the time, say Ivermectin - SafeGuard - Exodus - Ivermectin again). Do give tape warm once a year (Zimmerctin Gold or something). In fact, it's not good to worm so close (as it's all chemistry). I did it just once when I just bought youngster never dewormed and she was FULL of worms.

Ryle 08-01-2007 12:08 PM

Everyone is right on target, it won't hurt your horse to deworm again that soon, but it's likely that you won't have many (if any parasites) that will be killed by deworming again. When exactly in July are they going to be deworming? It's probably best just to go ahead and do it so that everyone is happy.

Kansas-twister, you said you use Safe-guard....are you having regular FEC's done? Fenbendazole has extremely high incidence of parasite resistance (95% of farms tested, and the situation is world-wide) so it's very likely that you aren't getting a good kill by using just that product. It would be a great idea for you to monitor efficacy by doing an FEC just before deworming and then again 2 weeks later to see how much of a change there is in the number of parasite eggs being shed.

As for rotating products, that's a whole bunch of speculation and there is nothing to prove that rotating slows parasite resistance at all. The practice of rotating dewormers actually stems from the need to rotated the dewormers that were used many years ago because the ones that were available only killed one or 2 types of parasites and so you needed to used different chemicals each time to be sure you killed the different types of parasites that are a problem. The biggest key to preventing resistance is actually ensuring that you are not under-dosing. Giving a smaller than recommended dose of dewormer means that you will have more parasites that get exsposed to the chemical but not killed by it and thus can build up resistance and pass it on to their progeny.

kimlucky13 09-15-2007 09:10 PM

worming?

is the wormer that is in the individual packets that you put on the horses feed as good as the ivermectin? I have a TWH and 3 miniatures, as well as a 3 month old baby mini and my issue is figuring out if the baby is getting the required dose with the "syringe type" wormer. I estimate her weight to be about 60 lbs and I set the syringe to that weight and just to be sure the end wasn't full of air I pushed that amount of med out and it sure didn't seem like much. The baby just had a bout of colic so I want to make sure she's properly wormed. I'm thinking with the wormer that you sprinkle on their food may work better for her because I can actually see that she's getting the correct amount.
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/2084_100_1991_1.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/2084_100_1985_2.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/2084_100_1987_1.jpg

Ryle 09-16-2007 08:54 AM

Exactly which packets of dewormer are you talking about?

As for assuring accurate dosing with the foal, see if your local small animal vet has a walk on scale and if they will let you bring the foal in to weigh it. Or if you've got a set of bathroom scales stand on them and find your weight, then stand on them holding the foal and get your combined weights and subtract your weight from the combined weight. Otherwise, there are formulas that will help you get close to an accurate weight on but their accuracy on foals is probably not as good as on adult horses:
(3.7 x girth) + (2 x length) - 348.5= weight in lbs

kimlucky13 09-17-2007 12:08 PM

worming

I am referring to the IverEaseā„¢ On-Feed Dewormer (ivermectin). I haven't used this yet on the baby, but that is what I was leaning towards using, it seems more accurate dose wise than the syringe type. With the syring type I cannot see for sure how much she is getting and it makes me nervous that she may be getting too much or too little. Is there another wormer for babies that you would recommend? Since this baby just got over a bout of colic I want to make sure she is getting what she needs.
thanks for your help

Ryle 09-17-2007 05:46 PM

The iverease is as effective as the paste ivermectin and there aren't any dewormers on the market that are going to be any easier to dose for a foal, so it's probably a good choice. However, after dosing with it you should have a fecal exam done in about 2-3 weeks and see if there are any ascarid eggs in the feces as in some areas ascarids are resistant to ivermectin. If you don't have resistant ascarids then that's wonderful, but if you do you will need to rotate between ivermectin and strongid monthly for the first year so that you kill both the ascarids and strongyles at least every 8 weeks. (Stronglyes are sometimes resistant to pyrantel (strongid) and ascarids are sometimes resistant to ivermectin so the rotation will allow you to alternate which parasites you are targeting. ) Then after a year of age you don't have to worry so much about ascarids and ivermectin and moxidectin will be your most effective products for deworming.