The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Riding Helmet (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/riding-helmet-278210/)

Freemare 09-17-2013 06:25 PM

Riding Helmet

So, I am in the market for a new helmet. The one I have is super heavy and I am not happy with it. I was looking at this helment here Troxel Intrepid Helmet - Low Profile Performance Helmet Troxel Equestrian Helmets I was looking to get the blue one. I dont want a plane old black or brown one. I want something with some color. ^^ (I love color) Anyway, have any of you tried this helmet or know of one you like that is not over $100.

GamingGrrl 09-17-2013 06:28 PM

My favorite helmet is an Ovation schooler. I'm very wary of Troxels, after hearing and reading about people's experiences with them. The ovation schooler is super lightweight and low profile, and it cost around $50 if I remember correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 09-17-2013 08:10 PM

Helmet is something you really want to try before you buy. At least from my experience (as very few fit my head). :wink:

All my helmets are Troxel (nothing else feels comfortable). I have Legacy Gold, and I used cheap Spirit in a past (on trails). I like both (although LG feels more comfortable). Here is the list of different ones Dover carries: Troxel Riding Helmets < English Riding Apparel | Dover Saddlery

Freemare 09-17-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 3658738)
Helmet is something you really want to try before you buy. At least from my experience (as very few fit my head). :wink:

All my helmets are Troxel (nothing else feels comfortable). I have Legacy Gold, and I used cheap Spirit in a past (on trails). I like both (although LG feels more comfortable). Here is the list of different ones Dover carries: Troxel Riding Helmets < English Riding Apparel | Dover Saddlery

Thats what I wanted to do. However the few tack shops we have dont have a large helmet for me to try on. -_-

tinyliny 09-17-2013 08:36 PM

I am a persistent advocate of the Tipperary. they are SO light and comfy, I would reorder one in a heartbeat. I used to wear Troxel, but prefer Tipperary by a landslide. But, my head is very oval shaped, and Troxel does better for round shaped heads. Which are you?

Freemare 09-17-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 3659026)
I am a persistent advocate of the Tipperary. they are SO light and comfy, I would reorder one in a heartbeat. I used to wear Troxel, but prefer Tipperary by a landslide. But, my head is very oval shaped, and Troxel does better for round shaped heads. Which are you?

I am not sure if I am round or oval. How do I tell the right way?

womack29 09-17-2013 10:20 PM

I have always worn troxels and recently retired my Sierra and bought the new rebel. Affordable lightweight and a great fit. Also cool graphics. I am loyal to troxel after a bad fall and my helmet being the reason I am still alive

tinyliny 09-17-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freemare (Post 3659058)
I am not sure if I am round or oval. How do I tell the right way?

good question. I guess it's based on your experience with hats and helmets. Do you usually feel them putting pressure on the front and back, but not on the sides? that, to me, would mean you are oval shaped, like me.

DuckDodgers 09-17-2013 10:53 PM

I'll second the Ovation schooling helmet! I got mine in 2010, have loved it since, and since then they have become very popular. They're quite affordable, have a low-profile similar to the troxel you posted, and if I remember right they also come in that ultra vibrant blue color.

Freemare 09-18-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 3660186)
good question. I guess it's based on your experience with hats and helmets. Do you usually feel them putting pressure on the front and back, but not on the sides? that, to me, would mean you are oval shaped, like me.

Yes with my other helmet I do feel more pressure on the front and back then sides.