The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Cross Country Leads (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/cross-country-leads-278250/)

HorseChick12 09-17-2013 07:53 PM

Cross Country Leads

Hi! I was just wondering about your leads on cross country... Do you have to be on the correct lead in cross country or a hunter derby? I am interested in both and was wondering about the leads. Thanks in advance!

NaeNae87 09-18-2013 12:49 AM

I don't pay any attention to my leads when on cross country. As long as my horse is balanced, we are fine. I always jump straight to the jump and am not yet at a level where curved lines are necessary, therefore his lead isn't super important.

HorseChick12 09-18-2013 01:45 PM

Thank you so much! I don't normally either, but I was wondering if you would get points off for that. I didn't think so, but was just checking. Thanks again!!!!!!!!

albertaeventer 09-18-2013 04:55 PM

For cross country you only get penalties for time and refusals, so leads don't matter. Same with a jumper derby, it's all about time and rails down.

In a hunter derby though, it is judged like a hunter round, so you will lose points for the incorrect lead, swapping leads before a jump, cross cantering, etc.

HorseChick12 09-18-2013 08:35 PM

Thank you so much! That is what I thought, but just wanted to make sure before I went out and did one. :)

MyBoyPuck 09-18-2013 09:26 PM

Yes! I can think of one case where I wish I had factored the correct lead into my XC round. I had jumped fence 4 and was hauling butt. It was only about 4 strides to a sharp 90 degree left turn. Horsie was on the right lead, so we blew the turn and made a very wide crooked left turn to fence 5 which was only another few strides away. I couldn't get my horse straight in time and he ran out. All my fault, and would have moved up many spots if we hadn't blown that one. I can't think of any other instance where leads would count, but if you have a sharp turn, it certainly would be nice to be on the proper lead.

Thames Pirate 09-19-2013 10:32 AM

My job is to help the horse balance and steer. His job is to go where I say and jump what is in front of him. How he does it is his business. Obviously I will do what I can to help him, but it IS his job.

I do not worry about leads. A horse can turn on the wrong lead if he is truly balanced, and he can jump just fine off the "wrong" lead or even a cross canter. Do NOT think about leads--worry about the balance. If he is balanced and you set him up for a turn, he will probably swap on his own. If he doesn't your job to balance him is a bit harder. You do it anyway because he is YOUR job, just as it is his to turn anyway and jump anyway.

HorseChick12 09-20-2013 08:14 PM

Thank you guys so much! That helps more than you know! I appreciate it so much!!!!!!!!