The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Too soon to clip? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/too-soon-clip-278529/)

Klassic Superstar 09-18-2013 12:25 AM

Too soon to clip?

Okay so I'm not going to deal with my boy becoming a pasture yak again this winter...not at all!:shock:

So I'm wondering, is it too early to clip in the next week or so? He's already got the winter fuzz starting...fuzzy wuzzy :wink:

I have plenty of blankets, he has two run in sheds and gets fed 3x daily in a slow feeder and get worked 4-6 days a week so it's not like he will just be sitting there naked all winter....not with my plans to show him this winter.

I just was wondering if there is a "too soon" to clip?
Thanks!

Skyseternalangel 09-18-2013 12:26 AM

As long as you have a blanket for him, it shouldn't be an issue.

Klassic Superstar 09-18-2013 12:34 AM

That's what I figured but after the very first time I clipped him and he got so sick but I clipped him partially and later in the season but he did perfectly fine then so I'm sure he will be just fine this winter!
Thanks sky!!

Foxhunter 09-21-2013 05:56 AM

You can clip anytime you want but if you do so now then he will want doing again in a few weeks as his winter coat will not yet be fully in.

Depending on the weather in your area do not over blanket early in the season.

Clava 09-21-2013 06:25 AM

I gave my haffy a chaser type clip yesterday, but it was such a warm evening and night I didn't put her LW rug on (she lives out).

Stilton 09-21-2013 12:08 PM

He will be fine to clip now but will need doing again in the next few weeks when the rest of his coat grows in

Chevaux 09-21-2013 02:57 PM

If you`re not stabling him, I would vote for a trace clip. He`ll be `hairier` but should be able to handle heating up from the workouts.

Elishaponies 09-27-2013 10:44 AM

I'd wait until his winter coat is all the way in to avoid having to reclip if it were me.