The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Shep tries to save owner from freezing to death. (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/shep-tries-save-owner-freezing-death-278738/)

BigNickMontana 09-18-2013 12:01 PM

Shep tries to save owner from freezing to death.

Really sad story.

German shepherd Stays 23 Days Next to Deceased Owner | Life With Dogs

Being best friends with a German Shepherd this story really hit me.

smrobs 09-18-2013 12:05 PM

There's nothing in this world quite like a loyal dog.

DancingArabian 09-18-2013 12:36 PM

What a great dog.

Remind me never to drive in places where it would take days to find my car if it broke down.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigNickMontana 09-18-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 3665178)
What a great dog.

Remind me never to drive in places where it would take days to find my car if it broke down.
Posted via Mobile Device

The moral of the story is go prepared.

People always wonder why I keep a few cans of food and an opener in my rig. This is why.

Saddlebag 09-23-2013 08:58 PM

I've never been in a situation where the dog tried to keep me warm, but my Chessie would insist I take hold of his big collar when the yard was icey. He'd block my path with his body until I did so. On the way back to the house I had to hold on until I'd opened the door, whether I wanted to or not.

Canterklutz 09-23-2013 09:19 PM

Just to hit you in the feels.

Samstead 09-29-2013 02:32 AM

right in the feels

Fort fireman 10-01-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigNickMontana (Post 3666306)
The moral of the story is go prepared.

People always wonder why I keep a few cans of food and an opener in my rig. This is why.

And stay with the car as long as possible. A car is a heck of alot easier to find than one person in a large area of land. Especially if people are expecting you. When you don't show they will report it sooner or later. Most " survival" type situations like this last no more than 72 hours. At least in the US.

WSArabians 10-01-2013 11:29 AM

Wow... what a dog.

Darrin 10-01-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fort fireman (Post 3766610)
And stay with the car as long as possible. A car is a heck of alot easier to find than one person in a large area of land. Especially if people are expecting you. When you don't show they will report it sooner or later. Most " survival" type situations like this last no more than 72 hours. At least in the US.

Exactly. It's not uncommon around here for people to get stuck up in the mountains during winter. It's almost always the one who goes looking for help that ends up dying.