The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Draft Horses and Trailers. Can anyone help? (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/draft-horses-trailers-can-anyone-help-27887/)

BackInTheSaddleAgain 05-16-2009 11:33 AM

Draft Horses and Trailers. Can anyone help?

I'm picking up my 2 year old Clydesdale filly in a little over 2 months. I have a straight-shoot 2 horse trailer. It's a tall trailer, so I'm not concerned with height. This is my first draft. I was wondering if anyone could suggest how long a trailer should be from chest wall to rump bar to fit a draft?
Also, since I am not familiar with how well she will do in a trailer from Missouri to California, would you suggest I remove the divider, or keep it in?

Qtswede 05-17-2009 12:47 AM

believe it or not, I fit a 9 year old belgian in a regular 2 horse straight load. He craned his neck around the feeding area for the trip (not too long)and he fit (barely) in one side - would have removed the partition, but it did not come out in this trailer. For a 2 year old, you should be OK, but I would take out the partition to give her a little room for a ride that long. Congrats, and can't wait to see pics - does she have a name yet?

BackInTheSaddleAgain 05-17-2009 08:13 AM

Thank you so much for replying =) Yesterday in another thread, someone suggested putting the divider at a stant (attaching the end to the right wall) I thought maybe it would give her a litte more room? And, that way she could brace herself better if she gets a little nervous. What do you think? I can't wait to TAKE pics! You should see my list of names. I feel like a little kid. lol I'm leaning toward "Keonah"--pernounced "key-oh-na". I'm a sucker for anything Irish. For a show name....
"Ankle-Biter".:lol:
Oh, n' this is her next to a full-grown Belgian gelding to get an idea of size (picture not mine, and this was in January or so...:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../IMG_08891.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../IMG_09831.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtswede (Post 308517)
believe it or not, I fit a 9 year old belgian in a regular 2 horse straight load. He craned his neck around the feeding area for the trip (not too long)and he fit (barely) in one side - would have removed the partition, but it did not come out in this trailer. For a 2 year old, you should be OK, but I would take out the partition to give her a little room for a ride that long. Congrats, and can't wait to see pics - does she have a name yet?

eventerdrew 05-17-2009 09:18 AM

you should be fine with the chest bumper to butt bar size-wise. I would definitely take out the divider. It's a long journey and there is no reason you need it in. might as well make the big girl comfy!

Good luck with your trip and tell us how it goes!

danastark 05-17-2009 11:27 PM

Hi,

So are you buying her from Belgian Lover?

As long as you don't have a teeny 2 horse and move the divider over so she's got room to spread her feet out some, she should be fine.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 05-18-2009 07:50 AM

Yes I am =) the Clyde stole my heart the moment I got to this forum... well before I found the post that BelgianLover was selling her. :D She's been nice enough to hold her for me until we move in July/August.
Quote:

Originally Posted by danastark (Post 309018)
Hi,

So are you buying her from Belgian Lover?

As long as you don't have a teeny 2 horse and move the divider over so she's got room to spread her feet out some, she should be fine.

My2Geldings 05-22-2009 08:08 PM

She is a stunner :shock: again, I'm jealous. Good choice for breed. In my eyes, if you're going to own a draft, you have to have the feathers. I can't wait to see some pictures of her. How tall is she now?

BackInTheSaddleAgain 05-22-2009 08:15 PM

current owner says she's already 16hh. She just turned two a few days ago. I agree with the feathers! She's definitely got them. I cant wait :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings (Post 312438)
She is a stunner :shock: again, I'm jealous. Good choice for breed. In my eyes, if you're going to own a draft, you have to have the feathers. I can't wait to see some pictures of her. How tall is she now?

Gleebee 05-31-2009 11:44 PM

Where in CA are you going?
(:
I live in southern CA and I'm getting my first draft soon.

My2Geldings 06-01-2009 08:24 AM

You know, I just realized something interestin.g. Most of the horse breeds in Europe are cobs and various draft crosses, some bigger some smaller but when you look at the horse trailers down there, all they use are the Brendurups pulled by smaller SUVs and trucks.

I think tho it might not be the most comfortable, as long as your trailer isn't a tiny cattle trailer, you should be fine.